cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I able to Encrypt Windows with Drive Encryption that is running in Boot Camp on a Mac?

Jump to solution

I have a user that uses a Mac in the office. He runs Windows via Bootcamp on it. I'm in the process of installing Drive encryption and encrypting all of our workstation. Is this still doable if windows is running in bootcamp?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: Am I able to Encrypt Windows with Drive Encryption that is running in Boot Camp on a Mac?

Jump to solution

Preboot is an efi application and requires interaction with the hardware and the UEFI. This also requires an additional efi partition and modification of the NVRAM. Doing this on a Mac will change how the system boots and can result in any unknown problems. Intel Security has not tested this and does not recommend using MDE on MAC hardware with or without Bootcamp.

4 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: Am I able to Encrypt Windows with Drive Encryption that is running in Boot Camp on a Mac?

Jump to solution

KB79784 - FAQs for Drive Encryption 7.1.x

Is a Windows operating system with DE/EEPC installed on Mac hardware supported?

No. DE/EEPC has not been tested on any Mac hardware and is thus unsupported.

Jump to solution

Even though windows is technically "Virtual" in bootcamp, the drive encryption software would still be installed in the "Windows" environment and not actually on the Apple hardware? Or am I wrong in thinking that?

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Preboot is an efi application and requires interaction with the hardware and the UEFI. This also requires an additional efi partition and modification of the NVRAM. Doing this on a Mac will change how the system boots and can result in any unknown problems. Intel Security has not tested this and does not recommend using MDE on MAC hardware with or without Bootcamp.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the information!