cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I able to Encrypt Windows with Drive Encryption that is running in Boot Camp on a Mac?

Jump to solution

I have a user that uses a Mac in the office. He runs Windows via Bootcamp on it. I'm in the process of installing Drive encryption and encrypting all of our workstation. Is this still doable if windows is running in bootcamp?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee jhall2
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: Am I able to Encrypt Windows with Drive Encryption that is running in Boot Camp on a Mac?

Jump to solution

Preboot is an efi application and requires interaction with the hardware and the UEFI. This also requires an additional efi partition and modification of the NVRAM. Doing this on a Mac will change how the system boots and can result in any unknown problems. Intel Security has not tested this and does not recommend using MDE on MAC hardware with or without Bootcamp.

4 Replies
McAfee Employee jhall2
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: Am I able to Encrypt Windows with Drive Encryption that is running in Boot Camp on a Mac?

Jump to solution

KB79784 - FAQs for Drive Encryption 7.1.x

Is a Windows operating system with DE/EEPC installed on Mac hardware supported?

No. DE/EEPC has not been tested on any Mac hardware and is thus unsupported.

Jump to solution

Even though windows is technically "Virtual" in bootcamp, the drive encryption software would still be installed in the "Windows" environment and not actually on the Apple hardware? Or am I wrong in thinking that?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee jhall2
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Preboot is an efi application and requires interaction with the hardware and the UEFI. This also requires an additional efi partition and modification of the NVRAM. Doing this on a Mac will change how the system boots and can result in any unknown problems. Intel Security has not tested this and does not recommend using MDE on MAC hardware with or without Bootcamp.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the information!

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community