cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Windows tablet, sharing a common USB LAN card showing as a single entry in ePO?

Trying to deploy agents to 2 different windows tablets, something interesting has happened.

Both tablets are sharing a common USB LAN card, and thus the same IP address. We noticed that if we switch the USB LAN card from the first tablet to the second one, ePO responds by updating one particular record in the system tree, instead of creating a new separate entry for the second tablet.

I don't understand why this is happening, the two tablets are having a very different UUID so ePO should be referencing that to create two entries for both tablets right?

Is there any option to correct this? Or is this an expected behaviour?

3 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee hhoang
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: 2 Windows tablet, sharing a common USB LAN card showing as a single entry in ePO?

EPO uses 'system matching criteria' to determine whether systems communicating to the server need to update an existing entry (i.e. overwrite existing properties on a system in the system tree as you are seeing) or create a new object/system.  When 2 unique system properties change (i.e. IP and MAC address) it will re-evaluate the system - since it then finds an existing system that already has that MAC address EPO will just overwrite the existing entry it finds. 

The behavior and the solution are both documented here:  McAfee Corporate KB - Clients communicating with ePolicy Orchestrator via VPN disappear from the ePo...

Long story short - just exclude the MAC address from being used as matching criteria using the query in the article. 

McAfee Employee jhall2
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Re: 2 Windows tablet, sharing a common USB LAN card showing as a single entry in ePO?

To expand on Huy's correct assessment of the issue, a KB even more specific to the problem exists:

KB84716 - Systems randomly appear and disappear from the system tree after deploying McAfee Agent to multiple Microsoft Surface Pro systems

​ thanks for the reply

Unfortunately my client doesn't really want to take the risk of amending the SQL command, and thus we opt for a hard way.

We manually shuffle the logical MAC address of the shared USB LAN card via Device Manager prior to first connection to ePO server. Takes some extra work, but at least it works.

Also, got this little flowchart from the McAfee support (we actually opened a ticket for this issue) and I guess I should share just in case someone needs it as a reference.

ePO_Logic_Managed_Systems.PNG

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community