cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

default password

I have DE 7.2.9.5 on our laptops. I can still use 12345 as password for an uninitialized user. I thought this changed to 1234567 for DE 7.2.5 and later. Or is it because someone changed the default password to 12345 in UBP?

8 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: default password

The default password was changed to 1234567 because the minimum password length was increased to 7 characters. You can't set 12345 in DE 7.2.9 as password as it is below the minimum number of characters.

If I have to guess, I presume that you upgraded your clients to 7.2.9, however you most likely forgot to upgrade the management extension. The management extension is responsible for the policies therefore you are still able to use old settings. Please check this and if this is the case, make sure to upgrade the extensions as well as it is not recommended to manage clients on version higher that the version of the extension.

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted

My extension was upgraded to 7.2.9.5 before upgrading the clients.

- Jisha

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Can I just mention the obvious here? The default password is there because we have to have it populated with something in the default policy. You're not really expected to use it. Failure to change it to something unique to your organization increases your vulnerability footprint.

Had you changed it originally to something unique you probably would not have even noticed this issue.

I am hoping you at least have made SOME modifications to your MDE policy, and are not using the default policy that came with the product or any McAfee product for that matter.

This is not just the best practice for MDE. default passwords that come with any sort of product or service, should ALWAYS be changed to something unique to your organization. We in security must always strive (within reason) to reduce our vulnerability footprints. Let me apologize in advance if you feel like I am slapping your wrist. As a security professional, I am really just concerned about the security of your organization. 

Cheers.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 9

Hi @jjoseph / @Ufoto ,

Thank you for writing in here.

Answer:

Assume you had purchased MDE and installed MDE 7.2.4 extensions earlier for the first time in EPO and you had created MDE policies at that time by duplicating the "McAfee Default" drive encryption policy, and named it as "MDEpassword" and this policy was using 12345 as the default password.

Few months later you updated MDE to MDE 7.2.9.5 extension in EPO and you still use the same "MDEpassword" policy which was created by duplicating the McAfee Default policy of MDE 7.2.4, so this policy will not get its default password updated automatically.

However, when you create a New MDE policy (names MDEpasswordNew) by duplicating the "McAfee Default" policy of MDE 7.2.9.5 then the default password for this "MDEpasswordNew" policy would be 1234567.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

@jsubbura Are you certain about this? As far as I know MDE 7.2.9 policy does not allow password length lower than 7 characters and the default password in the policy is immediately changed when you upgrade the extension.

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 9

Hi @Ufoto ,

As per my testings earlier, yes. The default password 1234567 would be updated on the McAfee Default policy and not on the existing policies, because if the customer is using a different password other than 1234567 and post extension upgrade we should not change the password which was used by the customer earlier in their previous policy. So yes 🙂

Thank you

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

@jsubbura Yes, according this this you are right: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90465&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=f...

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 9

Hi @Ufoto ,

Yes, good team work in here. 

Thank you for being more active in here!

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community