cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Encrypt second drive in HP laptop

Jump to solution
We have a group of people who are running Z-books they have a built in HDD, but we added a second one. and even though the product policy is set to "encrypt all drives" it does NOT ever encrypt. I can reinstall DE, I can specify the drive letters, etc. but nothing gets that second physical drive to encrypt. Please, what can i Do?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cross
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 8

Re: Unable to Encrypt second drive in HP laptop

Jump to solution

Thank you.  We definitely want to avoid using MDE with dynamic disks as they are not supported with MDE.  They'll need to go back to basic which I believe requires that the volumes be deleted and recreated so make sure to backup anything on them first and as a general precaution, I recommend including any other volumes on the system be backed up as well.  Since the drive letters were showing and it listed "decrypted", once back to that state, the next item that would come to mind is that it could potentially be the situation in https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB92192.  We don't yet know if it is or is not but the first nine steps in the "solution" section of the KB article would serve as the process to check to see if the 0x80000000000000 is or is not set.  Assuming it is, you can proceed to the final step if you still have a backup of all data on the system's volumes.  If not, please take a backup of it all first.

To note, I do see that there is a typo in the step numbers in that article that I'll get fixed.  The last step is listed as 7 instead of 10.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
cross
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

There are several possibilities of things that could be an impedance here and given that, it may be quickest to open an SR and submit MER data from an impacted system from review.  Regardless of whether you go that route or continue here, some of the information that would need to be known would include:

Are the drive letter(s) for the volumes on the second drive shown in the MDE UI?  

If shown are the volume(s) simply indicated as "decrypted" or is something else indicated there like "unsupported"?

If you view disk management, is the disk shown as basic or dynamic?

Is it safe to assume that the disk's volumes are accessible in the OS through file explorer or is there any issue navigating it\them in file explorer?

Jump to solution

yes we had the second disk showing as "decrypted" -- on thing I did was , I tried making them Dynamic disks and that DID NOT help, it actually made them disappear from DE.  I would have opened a ticket but the wizard recommended that I open a conversation instead. 

cross
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Thank you.  We definitely want to avoid using MDE with dynamic disks as they are not supported with MDE.  They'll need to go back to basic which I believe requires that the volumes be deleted and recreated so make sure to backup anything on them first and as a general precaution, I recommend including any other volumes on the system be backed up as well.  Since the drive letters were showing and it listed "decrypted", once back to that state, the next item that would come to mind is that it could potentially be the situation in https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB92192.  We don't yet know if it is or is not but the first nine steps in the "solution" section of the KB article would serve as the process to check to see if the 0x80000000000000 is or is not set.  Assuming it is, you can proceed to the final step if you still have a backup of all data on the system's volumes.  If not, please take a backup of it all first.

To note, I do see that there is a typo in the step numbers in that article that I'll get fixed.  The last step is listed as 7 instead of 10.

View solution in original post

cross
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

I should also note that those are example steps in the KB article.  Certain things would need to be adapted.  For example, if on step 5 you list disks and see that the disk you need to check is disk 1 then you would need to adjust the command in step 6 to select disk 1 instead.

Jump to solution

Hi, 

so new devolpments are afoot in our journey to encrypt. 

The guy who's physically ith the laptop reformatted it. The first time we were working on this, the boot disk was showing in windows as "Disk 1" and the added drive was showing as "disk 0" after he reformatted it was boot disk = disk0 and added drive = Disk1 and as soon as we installed DE everything is working normally. both disks are encrypted, halleluiah! 

Jump to solution

yes we had the second disk showing as "decrypted" -- on thing I did was , I tried making them Dynamic disks and that DID NOT help, I am facing this does anyone knows the correct solution. hca estub 

Jump to solution

Keep Sharing, These the facing was having  myhr kp the same problem. 

anime girl drawing 

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community