Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Typing fields in preboot environment clear out when typing

Jump to solution

I've had several reports from staff that when they are in the preboot environment trying to authenticate, their username/password fields often clear out as they're typing and they have to start over. They're saying it's common to have to try to log in several times before it takes.

I had saw this myself a few times, but assumed I had just bumped something. I've been unsuccessful in duplicating the problem on purpose, it just seems to happen, but I'm sure there's a culprit. These are all laptop devices.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Re: Typing fields in preboot environment clear out when typing

Jump to solution

Hello JKdc,

Please follow the below article to update the HW XML Version on ePO and client system

The hardware-compatibility settings supplied to McAfee via submitted Product Ideas, are used to build a file that can be imported to ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO). This file can then be used to activate platforms that exhibit particular issues at preboot.

How to use the Hardware Compatibility Settings tool for Drive Encryption: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB81900

After updating the XML as per the above article, external KB/M should work at PBA. Make sure to check if USB support at boot is enabled in BIOS. Also try toggling secure and fast boot too. 

Avinash Raghunathan

Data Protection

View solution in original post

6 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello JKdc,

Please help me with the below information

-Is the issue occurring only on particular make and model of laptop

-When trying to username in the field, does shift and caps keys being used?

-Make and model of laptops:

-DE Version on client systems:

-HW XML Version(ePO Menu-> Server Settings->Drive Encryption->Manage Hardware Compatibility Settings): 

-Is the issue occurring on internal or external keyboard

-If external, is it directly connected to laptop or connected to a docking station?

Avinash Raghunathan

Data Protection

Level 8
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

I'll answer what I can right now.

-We run all HP laptop Probooks/Elitebooks. My device is a Probook 440 G4, all other devices are Elitebook 840 G6 devices.

-For my anecdotal evidence I do not use caps or shift for the username field where I noticed the problem. I did not experience the issue in the password field. The other users I cannot speak for, but will ask when I speak with them next.

-All DE versions are 7.2.10.56

-Description:Default hardware compatibility rules  Version:92

-External devices do not work in our PB environment, so it's all on the internal laptop keyboard. Is there a way to make external peripherals or docks work from the pre-boot screen?

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello JKdc,

Please follow the below article to update the HW XML Version on ePO and client system

The hardware-compatibility settings supplied to McAfee via submitted Product Ideas, are used to build a file that can be imported to ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO). This file can then be used to activate platforms that exhibit particular issues at preboot.

How to use the Hardware Compatibility Settings tool for Drive Encryption: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB81900

After updating the XML as per the above article, external KB/M should work at PBA. Make sure to check if USB support at boot is enabled in BIOS. Also try toggling secure and fast boot too. 

Avinash Raghunathan

Data Protection

View solution in original post

Level 8
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

It's now at version 109.

The note indicates that devices that are currently encrypted, need to be decrypted and deactivated. What does deactivated mean?

I'm assuming new encrypted devices going forward will include these latest hardware support updates?

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello JKdc,

Please refer to the screenshot attached. Disabling the option will deactivate DE on the system. On client system when you open "Show Drive encryption status", it should show as inactive.

For new devices which are being encrypted after updating the XML, the hardware compatibility will automatically be updated.

Avinash Raghunathan

Data Protection

Level 8
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for clarification, that setting is already toggled off for our decryption policy.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community