cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary HDD is not accessible after MDE activation

one of my customer having this problem.

lots of PCs have the same situation.

they use MDE 7.2.4.2, MA 5.0.5.659 and OS is Win10 17763

PCs have 2 HDD 'SD8SNAT 128G 1109' as a C: and 'TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050' as a D drive.

customer have used 'TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050' only and add 'SD8SNAT 128G 1109' recently, Win 10 was installed on 'SD8SNAT 128G 1109' .

MDE 7.2.4 was uninstalled before adding 'SD8SNAT 128G 1109' .

when user tries to access to D:, windows message pops up which says 'You need to format the  disk in drive 😧 before you can use it' and 'D:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.'

customer did decryption but, the problem still occurs.

what do I have to check or do for recover?

7 Replies
jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: Secondary HDD is not accessible after MDE activation

Hi @metalscythe ,

Thank you for writing in here.

1) How was the MDE 7.2.4 uninstalled? Clear instructions needed for proper troubleshooting.

2) Which is the D drive? 'TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050' is the D drive or 'SD8SNAT 128G 1109' is the D drive. 

3) You have mentioned that 'TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050' was the only HDD used by the customer earlier, so in this case, Windows would have been installed only on 'TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050'. Was 'TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050' decrypted before uninstalling MDE and did you re-image the disk 'TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050' ?

4) If customer added 'SD8SNAT 128G 1109' and installed OS on 'SD8SNAT 128G 1109' what happened to the OS installed on 'TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050' ? 

I advise you to open up a support case with Mcafee support with all these details as these needs to troubleshooted over a remote session for quicker results.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee

Hi jsubbura,

thank you for your reply,

1) by the customer, boot from DETECH and 'Remove DE' was performed after decryption and deactivating MDE.

2) Toshiba is D drive

3) there was a bit confusion between I and customer, the PC uses 2 HDD from the beginning, windows 7 was installed on 'SD8SNAT 128G 1109' with MDE 7.2.4.

so customer did decryption,  deactivation and uninstall MDE 7.2.4.

after that customer installed Windows 10 on SD8SNAT 128G 1109' and MDE 7.2.4 was installed also.

when MDE was activated, D drive was unable to access.

I opened Service Request and investigation is in progress.

thank you.

Regards,

jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Hi @metalscythe ,

Thank you for the information below, this makes things clear.

So the customer has done the following and that is the reason they are unable to access the D drive which is Toshiba.

1) Earlier the machine had two drives Toshiba and SD8

2) If the customer had already decrypted the Toshiba and SD8 using MDE decryption policy from EPO, why did the customer again use DETech tool to perform Remove DE or force manual decryption?? Remove DE or force manual decryption is not recommended for a drive which is already decrypted.

3) Then after this the customer would have re-imaged the Drive SD8 and installed new OS on it and booted the machine and could have installed MDE again on SD8 and encrypted the HDDs. 

Possible reasons for your issue is that the 

1) The Toshiba drive was not decrypted by your customer earlier properly and still its encrypted with the old Drive Encryption key

2) Or the HDD is corrupt with bad sectors and you are unable to access the disk.

Question: 

1) Was the host name of the machine changed after installing new OS? If so what was the new hostname and what is the old hostname ?

In the EPO system tree you can search with the new host name and the old host name of this machine to check if they have Drive Encryption Recovery keys in EPO. Or if they have used the same hostname, you could see there are two XML keys for this machine when you select the option "Export old Recovery keys"

Kindly check the above and let us know.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee

Hi jsubbura,

As a answer for following number 2, It would be a kind of routine for installing OS with MDE installed.

refer to customer, he performed decryption through ePO policy, if the drive was not successfully decrypted  with the proper key, customer would recognize as error?

and MDE decryption also remove all MDE related information from the disk?

If error occurred during decryption it would be a different issue but, customer didn't notice any error of decryption, all this errors occurs after decryption + remove DE.

could you please explain why it is not recommend for running 'remove DE' to already decrypted drive?

the reason number 1 is more like to be exact, there are 200 of PCs having this issue at the moment.

my question is How decryption was completed without any errors even it was not really decrypted.

I'm not sure the hostname is different from previous OS's I will have check and get back soon.

Thank you

Regards,

Young

jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Hi @metalscythe ,

Your comment: If error occurred during decryption it would be a different issue but, customer didn't notice any error of decryption, all this errors occurs after decryption + remove DE.

Our Question: Why the customer is doing decryption + Remove DE ? If decryption is already why to perform Remove DE using the DETech tool again? Could the customer explain us why there are doing dual decryption? 

You would need to possibly open a sev ticket with McAfee Support to work on this issue with priority if there are 200 PCs affected and you would need to make you have two machines ready for a remote session, the customer on the remote session as well and access to EPO console.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee

Hi jsubbura,

there was a miscommunication between I and customer,

before install Windows 10 , Customer performed 'Remove DE' through Detech only.

ticket is opened, I and customer requested remote support.

thank you for your advise.

jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Hi @metalscythe ,

Thank you for the update. Kindly share the RCA and fix once confirmed by McAfee Support in here for more information to us and other users of community.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community