cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preboot authentication no pointing device support - EliteBook 840 G5 DE 7.2.8.4

Jump to solution

Hi

We currently have the HP EliteBook 840 G5 with Windows 10 1803. Currently running software encryption for hard drives and version 7.2.8.4

With Preboot enabled we can only make use of the keyboard, and not the touchpad, pointer, or external mouse. In order to go through the Recovery process we have to make use of the TAB key to navigate around. Bios version was 1.00.05 and was upgraded to 1.07.00 which is the newest version available from HP. In addition, I've installed the Synaptic drivers SP95505 and HP Pointing drivers SP94796 which didn't resolve the issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Preboot authentication no pointing device support - EliteBook 840 G5 DE 7.2.8.4

Jump to solution

Hi

McAfee support called me back about this issue, and I now have a solution. In the Boot Options tab Fast Boot is enabled by default and prevents the laptop from loading the onboard Touchpad drivers. With Fast Boot disabled the Touchpad starts working.

6 Replies
Reliable Contributor jacek
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Preboot authentication no pointing device support - EliteBook 840 G5 DE 7.2.8.4

Jump to solution
Could you check if you have enabled the following option in DE policy?
Drive Encryption 7.2.8 > Product Settings > your_policy > Boot Options: Always enable pre-boot USB support
Does it solve your problem?
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi

McAfee support called me back about this issue, and I now have a solution. In the Boot Options tab Fast Boot is enabled by default and prevents the laptop from loading the onboard Touchpad drivers. With Fast Boot disabled the Touchpad starts working.

Jump to solution
Hi Ricardo, are you speaking about the Boot Options in BIOS of the laptop or in the DE Product Settings policy? We are facing the same issue on HP 850 G5 laptops. I do not see any fast boot options in ePO for the DE Product Settings policy.

Jump to solution
Hi markgarza The Fast boot option is in the BIOS. F10 to access the BIOS Switch to the Advanced tab Select Boot Options Remove the check next to Fast Boot Hope this helps!

Jump to solution
Thank you! And you have the Always enable pre-boot UBSB support option enabled in your DE policy, correct?

Jump to solution
Hi Markgarza The Pre-boot USB support will only provide the assistance needed for environments that have preboot enabled, or recovery for systems when pre-boot is enabled from too many failed logons for older laptop computers. You still require fast boot disabled on newer model laptop computers to allow for USB driver support after post. The WindowsPE Emergency decryption doesn't care as to policies you have in place, and requires Fast Boot to be turned off as it is a standalone environment. You could build a stand-alone WindowsPE image with GUI support, drivers, etc..., but I personally haven't had time to go down that route. I'm using the McAfee software they built to generate WinPE USB images which is available on their site. Hope this help!
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community