cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password sync not working on Windows 10 (autoboot using TPM )

Hello,

we have set an AUTOBOOT using TPM on Windows 10 (user don't see the preboot screen) in our environment.

It seems to me, that password synchronisation between Windows and MDE doesn`t work anymore when TPM is used for pre authentication.
And after a major update to Windows, TPM measure will fail (as designed) and PBA screen will be shown. But since passwords are not synced user can only authenticate with a old password or doesn`t remember it and need to be recovered.

EPo: 5.10

MDE version: 7.2.7.8

MA agent: 5.6.2

3 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Password sync not working on Windows 10 (autoboot using TPM )

Moved to MDE group.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

I would like to know if that works for other users/companies? Are we the only one having this issue?

McAfee Employee jsubbura
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Hi @ipsos-mk ,

Thank you for writing in here.

Since you are using Autoboot feature, as soon as the machine is installed with MDE and restarted the PBFS would be created with users assigned to the PBFS, however, these users need to be initialized in the first place for password sync features.

User Initialization can only happen at the MDE PBA screen.

Since you have auto-boot enabled, MDE PBA screen is not displayed at all from the first, so user initialization does not happen at all. And when there is a windows upgrade which makes the TPM measurements to fail, MDE PBA screen appears. Now the user tries to enter his username and his windows password or any other password. Definitely you will get the failed to authenticate messages on the PBA screen.

At this case, since the user is not initialized, advise the user to use the mcafee default password (12345 or 1234567) mentioned in the product guide to initialize the user account, post this the user would be advised to enter a new password and confirm password, which can be their Windows account password. 

Post user Initialization, MDE password sync will happen regularly. So before provisioning the machines to the end-users, kindly make sure that these users are initialized at the PBA.

Kindly let me know if you have any further questions on the above 🙂

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Want to Ask a Question?
Many members like to perform a search first in case other customers have already asked and answered a similar question. However, to ask a question, first select a forum then click on Post a Topic. You must sign in or log in with your existing credentials.

McAfee Service Portal customers please use your existing username and password to log into the community.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community