cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

No Volume Information MDE 7.2.9.17

Jump to solution

I'm working on deploying McAfee Drive Encryption.  The agent and plugin are both version 7.2.9.17.

The installation works successfully, (we use ECM but I have also installed the software manually).

But after the restart the client shows No Volume Information.  We do not have control over the management server, but working with the team, once they push the Agent to the machine it starts encrypting the hard drive.  The software doesn't even install, it just acknowledges that it is there and starts encrypting.  We have seen this on laptops of different models and the issue can be recreated.

Before contacting the team I reviewed the MfeEpe.log file and saw these errors.  Any suggestions on where we can look next?:

2020-07-01 22:01:28,972 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to subscribe to data channel item EEADMIN_1000_AddDomainUsersRsp: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,972 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_AddDomainUsersRsp: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,972 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_GetAllUsersRsp: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,972 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_GetAllOptInUsersRsp: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,972 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_UserUpdatesAndAcknowledgementRsp: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,973 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_AssignUsersRsp: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,973 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_AddDomainUsersExc: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,974 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_GetAllUsersExc: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,974 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_GetAllOptInUsersExc: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,974 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_UserUpdatesAndAcknowledgementExc: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,974 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_AssignUsersExc: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,974 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_KSSetMachineKeyAck: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,974 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_KSSetMachineKeyExc: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,975 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_KSSetMachineRecoveryKeyAck: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,975 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_KSSetMachineRecoveryKeyExc: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,975 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_KSGetMachineKeyRsp: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.
2020-07-01 22:01:28,975 ERROR MfeEpeServiceLPCServer Unable to unsubscribe from data channel item EEADMIN_1000_KSGetMachineKeyExc: Unexpected IPC error. Please ensure MA/Point Product service is running.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 10 of 13

Re: No Volume Information MDE 7.2.9.17

Jump to solution

Hi @policeman51 ,

From the logs i could see that the machine is already active and you should be seeing the Volume information in the Drive Encryption Status window today. 

If not, this needs investigation further over a remote session, I advise you to raise a Support case with us to check further. 

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi @policeman51 ,

Thank you for writing in here.

I am unable to understand your main question in here. Your post says that installation was successful and again it also says that the install was not successful, so i am pretty confused in here.

question.png

Kind note: As soon as you install MDE Agent and MDE for Windows components the machine needs to be restarted. Until the machine is restarted you would see the message "No Volume Information" in the MDE Status monitor. 

Once the machine is restarted the Drive Encryption policies are enforced from the EPO automatically in the backend and then the Drive Encryption software encrypts the Drive in the machine. 

If the encryption happens pretty fast then the drive in the machine is an Opal Drive.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I just did another test and confirmed after the McAfee Drive Encryption Agent is installed I'm performing a restart, then I'm installing the McAfee Drive Encryption Plugin and performing another restart after.

When the system comes back online I'm still seeing the No Volume Information though.  But I do see both programs installed as well as the modules.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi @policeman51 ,

Can you try to paste the MfeEpe.log from the message "Start of Policy Enforcement" till the message "End of Policy Enforcement"

And also can you check the MfeEpe.log from the bottom of the log for any error messages or fail messages?

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I attached the entire MfeEpe.log file. It can be opened with notepad.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi @policeman51 ,

I could see that the MDE is Active as per the logs,

2020-07-01 17:43:40,566 INFO MfeEpeCoreEncryptionPlugin --- Activation Success ---
2020-07-01 17:43:40,566 INFO MfeEpeCoreEncryptionPlugin --- Preboot is now active ---
2020-07-01 17:43:40,566 INFO StatusService Activation has completed successfully
2020-07-01 17:43:40,676 INFO StatusService Updating Drive Encryption users
2020-07-01 17:43:40,707 INFO StatusService Drive Encryption users were updated
2020-07-01 17:43:40,707 INFO EpoState == End of policy enforcement ==

Can you help with the screenshots of the issue which you have? 

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Attached is the error.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the user accounts and maybe not assigned to the machine.

For some reason the activation only starts when they kick off the Drive Encryption Agent install on the machine from the console.  Not sure why it's not activating automatically and I think that's the main issue.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi @policeman51 ,

1) Post MDE Agent and MDE for Windows installation the machine needs to be restarted.

2) When the machine comes up, the McAfee Agent on the client machine performs the ASCI which is the Agent Server Communication Interval

Only after the ASCI the MDE policies gets enforced and the MDE Policy enforcement starts, once the MDE policy enforcement starts the Drive Encryption Users will be added and then the machine gets activated. 

After Activation, you would be seeing the Volume information of the Disks.

Do you still see No Volume Information Issue in the client machine from which you shared the logs from? 

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Highlighted

Jump to solution

That is correct.  

The restarts happened after the agent installation.

Still No Volume Information even after checking and enforcing policies.  Does that mean the policy may not be correct?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi @policeman51 ,

From the logs i could see that the machine is already active and you should be seeing the Volume information in the Drive Encryption Status window today. 

If not, this needs investigation further over a remote session, I advise you to raise a Support case with us to check further. 

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community