cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to change preboot user

I have a laptop where MDE was installed and authenticated as user "olduser".  I now need to change ownership of the laptop to user "newuser".  What is the correct way to do this?  My admin (the person with access  to the console) has added newuser to the laptop.  I have tried doing this:

• Pass encrpytion as olduser - SSO passes olduser into Windows
  • Log out of windows
  • Login in with local admin account
  • Start mcafee monitor and update policy (to let the laptop know that newuser was added)
  • Log out then back in as newuser to establish their profile
  • Log out as newuser and back in as local admin
  • While logged in as local admin - delete the account (profile) for olduser
  • Log back in as newuser - and update mcafee policies

Reboot - and at this point try newuser in mcafee preboot.  In this case it fails and goes to the 9min lockout.

Thanks in advance...

1 Reply
cross
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Need to change preboot user

If I'm following correctly.  Everything is done so far that you have noted here but the new user is failing to authenticate at preboot.  Is that correct?

Any user that is new to MDE will be in a default state.  I'm not sure if that user has attempted using the default password to start with but that would be one item to test with but we have to keep in mind that depending upon your policy configuration too many incorrect attempts could lock the user out from any further attempts.

If the user account is not in the new/default state, another option would be to complete a token reset for the user either through challenge/response or if you are able to get back in to the OS, through the DE: Users query which will then need to by updated on the client system before rebooting.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community