cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee Drive Encryption - PBA

Jump to solution

I would like to understand about the Preboot Authentication in McAfee DE. What will happen if we disable PBA for a encrypted laptop. I know the laptop will still stay encrypted. What kind of security does PBA provide?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor jacek
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee Drive Encryption - PBA

Jump to solution

When PBA will disabled, OS will boot automatically without preboot screen. User need to authenticate directly in OS.

PBA provides (in my opinion) additional security like you have to authenticate to use OS. Without PBA user can enter safe-mode and bypass some security mechanisms. I also use one more advantages - if Windows OS is hibernated (user remain logged in) and I turn on system, I need to authenticate on PBA.

With PBA disabled, disk will remain encrypted.

1 Reply
Reliable Contributor jacek
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee Drive Encryption - PBA

Jump to solution

When PBA will disabled, OS will boot automatically without preboot screen. User need to authenticate directly in OS.

PBA provides (in my opinion) additional security like you have to authenticate to use OS. Without PBA user can enter safe-mode and bypass some security mechanisms. I also use one more advantages - if Windows OS is hibernated (user remain logged in) and I turn on system, I need to authenticate on PBA.

With PBA disabled, disk will remain encrypted.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator