Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

MNE not encrypting without using a password

Hello, we have just received a few Dell laptops that have self encrypting hard drives. These systems will not encrypt without using a password. They have a TPM chip and it is enabled, I have verified that all the TPM settings in the Bios are identical to other systems that do not require password. I know Microsoft made some changes to disable self encrypting hard drives but these still should encrypt with bitlocker and use the TPM so that no encryption password is needed.

Any ideas how to get these to encrypt?  Thanks

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: MNE not encrypting without using a password

Hi @Quint1
How is MNE being deploying on these systems? Are you experiencing this on all machines or only on a few? If MNE is being pre-deployed using a SCCM image then I may have an idea what the issue is.

Have you tried to apply a policy to disable MNE then re-apply your default policy to see if the machine will start to encrypt?
Highlighted
Level 8
Message 3 of 4

Hi McCoffeeReport

The department that is having the problem does not use SCCM, they install windows, then the agent, then use ePO to push McAfee products.

I have disabled the re-enabled MNE policy and that does not help. These few machines will only encryption if you set an encryption password. These machines have a TPM chip that is enabled so they should not require an encryption password. these few machines have a self-encrypting hard drive that seems to be the problem but I am not sure how to get around the problem, the department does not want to use an encryption password.

Thank you for your assistance.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

@Quint1 I suspect Group Policy settings that is "Required additional authentication required at startup" option.

If it is not enabled then better open a ticket with support help after looking into the log.

JaganA
McAfee Employee

Was my reply helpful?
If yes, click "Accept as Solution" in my reply and together we can help other members?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community