cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDE 7.2.9 Will not encrypt

In mfeepe.log I get 

Early activation error: [0xEE850002] Error writing firmware environment variable CompatibilityFlags:1

I see no reference to this but have seen several where Compatibiltyflag is 5 and none of the solutions apply.   This is a Win 7 Embedded.  Its an Analyzer so it has a very sepcific configuration.  I had to do this...

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB84376&snspd-0515

To get things rolling because nothing would happen after the install. But now the Drive Encryption Status at least runs through the usual tasks but never encrypts.  The errors ...

Failed to set EFI compatibility flags
Early activation error: [0xEE850002] Error writing firmware environment variable CompatibilityFlags: 1

Preboot File System Failed (PBFS) creation failed
Error abandoning activation: [0xEE120002]

Thanks,

jim

5 Replies
jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: MDE 7.2.9 Will not encrypt

Hi @Trymelatr ,

Thank you for writing in here.

1) Is this a HP machine? If so kindly let us know the make and model.

2) Run -> msinfo32 -> System Summary -> Can you take full page screenshots of this page and attach here.

3) Is Fastboot enabled or disabled in the firmware settings?

4) Is it a 32 bit machine or 64 bit machine?

5) the version of MDE which is installed ?

6) Was there any firmware type changes done post installation of the OS? Like from Legacy BIOS to UEFI or from UEFI to Legacy BIOS ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee

1) Is this a HP machine? It is not. Its an Agilent Analyzer running Win 7 Embedded. A very specialized piece of equipment

2) Run -> msinfo32 -> System Summary -> Can you take full page screenshots of this page and attach here. Sorry...cant do a screenshot transfer without jumping through a lot of hoops. Its on a closed network.  Is ther something specific you wan to know?

3) Is Fastboot enabled or disabled in the firmware settings? Disabled. I saw the posts on this being a problem and checked.

4) Is it a 32 bit machine or 64 bit machine? 64bit

5) the version of MDE which is installed ? 7.2.9.17

6) Was there any firmware type changes done post installation of the OS? Like from Legacy BIOS to UEFI or from UEFI to Legacy BIOS ? No changes. Legacy bios - no UEFI available.

JaganA
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

@Trymelatr Thanks for choosing McAfee Community Portal.

Embedded OS is not tested OR supported by McAfee DE. Refer to the following article: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB79422

So my suggestion is, see if Bitlocker works on this machine. If yes then manage Bitlocker using MNE (McAfee Native Encryption) software.

JaganA
McAfee Employee

Was my reply helpful?
If yes, click "Accept as Solution" in my reply and together we can help other members?

I am trying MDE because Bitlocker will not work on it the way we want...no TPM.  I have MDE working on several Windows 7 Embedded machines. I dont think its the OS thats the problem. Could there be another path to explore?

Jim

JaganA
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

@Trymelatr Appreciate your response.

No guarantee for MDE to not work on this OS. All I am saying is Drive Encryption software was not tested on this embedded OS because of its customization feature.

When MDE is deployed it may OR may not work as expected. Though it works, McAfee support is not in a position to provide help as it was not tested by our QA, I am afraid.

JaganA
McAfee Employee

Was my reply helpful?
If yes, click "Accept as Solution" in my reply and together we can help other members?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community