Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

FRP recovery option

Jump to solution

I would like to know if there is a way to recover an FRP encrypted removable media device without ePO.

We ask that our users store their FRP passwords, but sometimes that does not happen. The concern is mostly centered around long term retention and loss or migration of ePO to another ePO instance or another service entirely.

Ideally, this would involve export and backup of an enterprise FRP key, and then use of that key with a client tool (non-ePO) to gain access to FRP encrypted items. This is something that I was.am able to do with PGP as long as I have a single license client software and the key.

The reliance on ePO only, makes FRP a very risky tool in my opinion and relegated to certain specific usage where data and media loss is expected.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: FRP recovery option

Jump to solution

Hi @ISmith ,

Thank you for writing in here.

I understand your scenario. 

Question: I would like to know if there is a way to recover an FRP encrypted removable media device without ePO.

Answer would be: not possible for now.

The device info gets stored in the EPO to which the machines were communicating when the devices were encrypted. 

We advise you to raise a Enhancement Request for this feature,

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60021

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee

View solution in original post

1 Reply
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: FRP recovery option

Jump to solution

Hi @ISmith ,

Thank you for writing in here.

I understand your scenario. 

Question: I would like to know if there is a way to recover an FRP encrypted removable media device without ePO.

Answer would be: not possible for now.

The device info gets stored in the EPO to which the machines were communicating when the devices were encrypted. 

We advise you to raise a Enhancement Request for this feature,

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60021

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community