- HP EliteBook 840 G3 laptop
- NVMe SSD
- Relevant agents:
    - Drive Encryption 7.2.4.2
    - Drive Encryption Go 7.2.4.2
    - Drive Encryption: Windows 7.2.4.2
    - McAfee Agent 5.5.1.388

Issue:
- The following booting error has appeared out of the blue and has rendered the laptop unbootable:
"Unexpected exception in EpeUefiBootcode.cpp: [0xEE020002]".

Actions performed:
- Generated bootable USB drive with EETech-7.2.4.2 in standalone mode.
- Extracted xml decryption file from the ePolicy console and added to the bootable USB.
- Booted laptop, enabled USB, authenticated with xml file and authorized with Code of the Day (COD) generated by EETechCode.exe

Observations:
- The option to "Set Boot Disk" only shows "Disk 1" without any indication if it is referring to the internal SSD or the external bootable USB.
- The option to "Remove DE" starts but does not progress whatsoever.
- The "Workspace" is completely empty (all zeroes).
- The "Disk Information" makes more or less sense and looks healthy (I'm not a HDD expert though).
- The option to "Emergency boot" complains about the fact that "The current MBR contains invalid McAfee Drive Encryption Disk Information". The "Search" starts but does not progress whatsoever.
- Option to "Restore MBR" (Original MBR + Keep the current PT) performs satisfactorily but does not fix the issue.

- Stuck here. Not wanting to start clicking random options and end up making things worse. Would greatly appreciate any kind of advice leading to fixing this issue. Thanks a lot!

1 Reply
JaganA
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: EpeUefiBootcode.cpp: [0xEE020002]

@squeakyWheel thanks for choosing community forum.

I would like to know what happened / performed before observing this issue?

If you access sector 0 and count 1 in workspace, what do you see in the right top corner? is it safeboot MBR or Windows?

Restore MBR + keep current PT should not have performed at this point. this changes the MBR.

Seems to be sector / HDD issue....however, I would try to clone the disk using sector by sector option then try to decrypt.

JaganA
McAfee Employee

Was my reply helpful?
If yes, click "Accept as Solution" in my reply and together we can help other members?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community