Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdg583
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Encrypted PC not bootable & help with Reset Windows

Hello,

I am helping a friend with some issues on his PC (Windows 10 Lenovo thinkpad) encrypted with Mcafee disk encryption.

A few days ago we restored Windows to a system restore point because of some issues after some updates. I realize now this was probably a risky choice. When the system restore completed, he was able to enter the Mcafee drive encryption account and password to start booting the system, but it would freeze at boot, just showing a cursor on a black screen occasionally changing to a loading cursor and then back.

I was able to access the Windows startup repair screen (like here). We tried startup repair, which showed no issues. There are no longer any system restore points listed. We tried booting into safe mode, and safe mode with command prompt but both ended up stuck on the blank screen with a loading cursor.

Via the command prompt I ran the tool DISM (Cleanup-Image RestoreHealth) offline, and the tool SFC offline, both of which ran successfully and didn't detect any issues.

From the command line I also looked again for system restore images, but for some reason couldn't find any. I was eventually able to read out some of the windows event logs with just a few events for errors starting some services: "The dependency service or group failed to start" and for the "AFD" service: "A device attached to the system is not functioning".

It seems as if the installed disk encryption isn't an issue, but something went wrong with the windows System Restore?

My question is whether or not something may have gone wrong with the disk encryption which the DETech tool could help? If not, the next option for us is to reset or reinstall Windows. How would we go about this with the mcafee disk encryption installed? Will the reset option from Windows startup repair conflict with disk encryption?

Thanks,

Matthew

1 Reply
Highlighted
jacek Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Encrypted PC not bootable & help with Reset Windows

I think it was not directly connected with DE.
You can use EETech tools to create USB or floppy disk to decrypt whole disk (and remove DE). When it will be removed, you can use Windows tools to repair or reinstall OS.

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=PD27694
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community