cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive encription PBFS

I check after sending encryption agent and encryption windows applications to user. I add the user from the encryption users section to its own user in the Active directory. Then when I check it, from the text "creating preboot file system" it goes back to starting the encryption.

Reinstall windows as uefi?

3 Replies
cross
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Drive encription PBFS

If it is failing to complete activation and starting over, we'd need to see what the MfeEpe.log shows for this in order to make a next recommendation.  You can open an SR and attach it a MER file for review or attach it here.  To note, the MfeEpe.log does not ever show password information but it does contain user names and domain names.  I mention it in case you want to "scrub" those out first and look it through to make sure that you are okay with posting the contents.

It says there is not enough space. There is 16GB of free space. What is needed?

cross
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Without seeing the log file I'm speculating but that sounds like it would be referring to the EFI system partition (ESP) that doesn't have enough free space.  Your initial post mentions the option of re-installing in UEFI mode which would lead me to believe that the system is in legacy BIOS mode though so it casts some doubt there.  If you run the command below in an admin command prompt, it will attempt to mount the ESP.  On a legacy system there shouldn't be one.

mountvol y: /s

I used the letter y for this but if you have something mapped to letter y: just use a different drive letter that is available.  If it does mount, in that same command prompt, you can navigate to the root of y: (or whichever letter was used) and we can then run dir /s with it being output to a file and it will give us info on the contents, available space, etc. that you can upload here.  An example of that command putting the file in the Windows temp folder  desktop would be:

dir /s > C:\Windows\Temp\ESPList.txt

You may want to use your desktop for the output.  That is just an example above.

After getting that file, you can dismount the ESP with the command:

mountvol y: /d

Of course, if you used a different letter than y for the mounting, that command would need to be adjusted to the correct drive letter in place of y.

For that file, the same scrubbing idea applies although, I'm not sure that I can think of anything environmentally specific that would be revealed in this file.  I'd just recommend taking a look and making sure you are okay with it before posting.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community