cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive Encryption 7.2.8.4 - Slow Boot and Performance

Hi guys,

Recently, we upgrade some notebooks  with Drive Encryption 7.2.8.4.

But, we had a problem, these notebooks showed very Slow boot and very slow performance during the day.

I checked and Encryption are finished, because this is not a new install of Drive Encryption, is a  just Update of version.

Has anyone had this problem and knows how to solve?

Drive Encryption version: 7.2.8.4

Windows: Windows 10

Build: 16229

Manufacturer: Dell

BIOS: Dell Inc. 1.12.0,  17/08/2018

Model:  Latitude 5480

Ram: 8 GB

Processor: i7-6600U

Thank  You!

6 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Drive Encryption 7.2.8.4 - Slow Boot and Performance

Hello,

I have checked the Drive Encryption known issue and unfortunately i am not getting anything related in the Knowledgeable Article:

Drive Encryption 7.x Known Issues 

Please check once and see whether you are getting anything related.

Also i would like to request you to please open a Service Request with the Technical Support Team, So they can check and provide you the resolution.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query! 

JaganA
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

@lucascombr Thanks for choosing Support Community

1. Whenever planning to upgrade MDE think of BIOS as well. Because, BIOS plays huge role between MDE and hardware.

A latest BIOS is available here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/in/en/inbsd1/product-support/product/latitude-14-5480-laptop/drive...

When exactly the slow boot is observed during the boot process.

2. Before Preboot Authentication page? Or

3. Before Windows login page or After?

4. Do you have SSO enabled? If yes, uncheck this option and verify.

5. Any windows update pending?

6. Finally, to troubleshoot further, need windows boot.log (NTbtlog.log)

JaganA
McAfee Employee

Was my reply helpful?
If yes, click "Accept as Solution" in my reply and together we can help other members?
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 7

Hi @lucascombr ,

Thank you for writing in here.

MDE 7.2.8 and lower can have this issue of slow boot and performance issues.

The MDE Opal encryption provider causes this issue on some machines, as a workaround Technical Support recommended to disable the Opal encryption provider registry key on the client machine or to upgrade to MDE 7.2.9 and above which has a fix for this performance issue and in some cases you can see a blue screen error too.

To know about the workaround kindly create a Support ticket with McAfee Technical Support and share this community forum link in there for immediate assistance with the workaround steps 

And if you are planning to deploy MDE 7.2.9 kindly reach out to support to get a HF for MDE 7.2.9 which resolves most of the blue screen and black screen and performance issues.

If you find my post useful, give it a Kudos! And if you find this as a solution you can select Accept this as a solution.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jithendran

jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Hi @lucascombr ,

I had to re-post the same reply once again as my earlier account was brought down due to technical issues.

Thank you for writing in here.

MDE 7.2.8 and lower can have this issue of slow boot and performance issues.

The MDE Opal encryption provider causes this issue on some machines, as a workaround Technical Support recommended to disable the Opal encryption provider registry key on the client machine or to upgrade to MDE 7.2.9 and above which has a fix for this performance issue and in some cases you can see a blue screen error too.

To know about the workaround kindly create a Support ticket with McAfee Technical Support and share this community forum link in there for immediate assistance with the workaround steps 

And if you are planning to deploy MDE 7.2.9 kindly reach out to support to get a HF for MDE 7.2.9 which resolves most of the blue screen and black screen and performance issues.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank you

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7

Can you be more specific re the Opal registry key to be disabled?

I see many references to Opal in the registry, wanted to be sure I have the right one.

jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Hi @Former Member ,

Thank you for posting in here. 

I advise you to raise a support ticket to get this information as that's the workaround to work on the registry keys and can be communicated through the support channel.

Thank you

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community