Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

Disk Encryption Data Access

I have an elderly client who has brought me his laptop  which until recently  was supported by an unethical individual who used McAfee Disk Encryption to encrypt all his data and is now refusing to provide the information for accessing it.

The client is desperate to access the data as the drive has all his family photos on it including the only later images of his now departed wife.

I advised him to make contact with the engineer who added the encryption but that individual is being an idiot and refusing to provide it, saying that the guy should never have fallen out with him and gone away from his support services. Effectively data blackmail.

All the client is interested in is the photographs. I know it's a long shot but is there any way of getting these unencrypted and accessible? He is happy to send the disk away to get that data if that what is needed. I'm an IT professional but unfamiliar with the encryption.

Rgds

Taff Lovesey 

LITES PC

8 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 9

Re: Disk Encryption Data Access

The customer found the encryption password so that was that hurdle over.

Now he has McAfee File and Removable Media Protection turned on so he can't copy his data to his new system. No password for that either so over the first hurdle only to hit a second. Doh!

jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 9

Hi @Former Member ,

Thank you for writing in here.

Can I know where is FRP turned on? On the User PC or on the secondary system in which you are trying to copy the data to?

Is the disk removed and connected externally to the secondary system?

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9

It's all on the same laptop. 

FRP is preventing copying the user data to USB drive and external drive. Unfortunately the client doesn't know the password and it looks like FRP wants to connect to a server that is no longer available too.

jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 9

Hi @Former Member ,

FRP is used to encrypt files on hard drive and it does not prevent copying of files from the Hard Drive to external.

Could you please share us a screenshot where FRP blocks the file transfer to external media? So that it can give us some light in here.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9

Many thanks for the help - the client has now taken the system back again.

He can at least get access to the images and documents on the system now - he just can't copy them as external devices are blocked by McAfee File and Removeable Media Protection which prompts for a login and password whenever an external device is connected to the USB ports. The client doesn't have this information.

jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 9

Hi @Former Member ,

Kindly note that, FRP software installed on the computer may ask you to encrypt the external devices (say thumbdrive) which is connected externally and if the password is not provided the 

Or the thumbdrive which is connected to the computer is already encrypted by FRP and hence you are seeing the password prompt from the MfeEERM.exe which is located in the thumbdrive and not on the FRP Software on the computer.

Kindly attach a screenshot of the prompt which you are seeing so that it would give us a clear picture of the scenario.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 9

Many thanks to you all for your help. The client has taken the system back and will live with this PC offline. I've shown him how he can access the images he wants.

jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 9

Hi @Former Member ,

Good to know about the result, you are welcome 🙂 

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community