Did you mean: 
gtmtc
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

DETECH unable to decrypt

Jump to solution

I'm trying to decrypt a laptop that's using McAfee Drive Encryption 7.2.3.29

I've followed the DETech 7.2 User Guide and made a USB stick. When I try and boot from that, I get "The boot image did not authenticate". I've copied the X64 and IA32 .efi files to /EFI/Boot as per the guide, so I don't know why that doesn't work.

I then turned off Secure Boot and successfully booted off the stick in Legacy mode. However, when I then go through the process and click Remove DE and Remove, it just says "Removal process started". Nothing appears in the log and the progress bar doesn't move.

Does anyone know why the UEFI version doesn't boot, and if the reason the decrypt isn't working is because I'm now booted in Legacy mode rather than Secure Boot?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: DETECH unable to decrypt

Jump to solution

I am afraid I do not have any experience with UEFI and would recommend engaging McAfee Support.  My experience with MBR revealed WinPE media ran MUCH faster to decrypt a system when we were getting ready to adopt DE.  I would also recommend using Jay's tool to create WinPE media.

https://www.mcafeejay.org/

2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I am afraid I do not have any experience with UEFI and would recommend engaging McAfee Support.  My experience with MBR revealed WinPE media ran MUCH faster to decrypt a system when we were getting ready to adopt DE.  I would also recommend using Jay's tool to create WinPE media.

https://www.mcafeejay.org/

gtmtc
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

Cool, I'll have a look at that, thanks.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community