Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

Create an EZMBR bootable USB disk

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have checked all available documents and also videos on Youtube, but I seems to be missing the steps on how to create a bootable USB drive for EZMBR. I have successfully created the ISO file, and also tried to attempted to create a bootable USB drive using Rufus, but the machine refuses to see the bootable drive. On the same machine I am able to boot from both the standalone and WinPE tools in EUFI mode.

Any ideas what are the additional steps to create the bootable USB drive?

Many thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 11

Re: Create an EZMBR bootable USB disk

Jump to solution

Yes, generally, you should be able to access the contents. There are several things needed for this to work.

1. Proper code of the day entered
2. Proper authentication either with user token or correct recovery XML
3. The crypt list information must be present and accurate. Missing or partially correct crypt list information will render incorrect attempts to access the data and that will cause some or all of it to be inaccessible.

Other things to consider though are other possible obstacles, like having a failing disk, having file system corruption, or other unexpected conditions.

If the disk is bad or if the file system is corrupt then even with proper authorization, authentication and crypt list information, the data may not be accessible. Also, using the wrong recovery XML would make encrypted data inaccessible as well.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Really, based on what you've said here, especially the part about the system booting the UEFI tools, it sounds likely that the system is actually in UEFI mode. In many systems' case, if they are in UEFI, they won't boot legacy media and vice versa unless they happen to be in a hybrid mode with both options enabled and then usually there is a priority order. As far as ways to further look at that aspect, some things to check\ask would be:

Does the MDE information for the system in ePO show that the system is in legacy BIOS mode for sure?

Have you checked the BIOS\firmware settings on the system in question to confirm that it is truly in legacy BIOS mode only?

Have you checked these media attempts on other systems where the firmware type is known?

If that doesn't lead into a confirmed direction, we should probably move over to discussing the specifics of the build process using Rufus and may want to explore a different build option if that doesn't reveal anything.

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi Cross,

Many thanks for your reply, here are my answers:

Does the MDE information for the system in ePO show that the system is in legacy BIOS mode for sure?

I can confirm that the system is setup in EUFI mode.

Have you checked the BIOS\firmware settings on the system in question to confirm that it is truly in legacy BIOS mode only?

The BIOS is setup for EUFI mode only with Secure Boot disabled.

Have you checked these media attempts on other systems where the firmware type is known?

I have tried on an another system and the USB drive was not recognised as bootable. I have two other EETech USB drives setup with EUFI support and both are working on both systems.

If that doesn't lead into a confirmed direction, we should probably move over to discussing the specifics of the build process using Rufus and may want to explore a different build option if that doesn't reveal anything.

I have noticed other options in Rufus, but I am unsure about which one should be selected.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Thank you for the information.  If the system is configured for UEFI mode only, then I would not expect that it would be able to boot any tool that is built in MBR mode.  May I ask why you are attempting to boot the EZMBR tool on this system?  If you are needing to perform recovery steps and the system is in UEFI mode, the standalone and/or WinPE instances in UEFI mode should be applicable for the recovery.

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Ok got it now, thanks. The reason for wanting to use the EZ tool, was to use the file explorer functionality to recover data from a secondary disk, which failed to decrypt half way through. I have seen videos for the EZ tool where a file explorer app is used to navigate on the encrypted drive. I now wonder if it may be possible to add a file explorer app to an existing WinPE image.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Really, if you don't have the explorer application that you want already included with a WinPE-DETech build, the easiest thing to do would just be to drop a portable file explorer executable on a USB drive and run it from there while booted to your current WinPE-DETech build that is . 

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks, I will give it a try. Just to better understand the EETech tool on WinPE, if the code of the day as well as the token or xml file is provided, should I be able to access the encrypted drive from either a dos prompt or 3rd party file explorer?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes, generally, you should be able to access the contents. There are several things needed for this to work.

1. Proper code of the day entered
2. Proper authentication either with user token or correct recovery XML
3. The crypt list information must be present and accurate. Missing or partially correct crypt list information will render incorrect attempts to access the data and that will cause some or all of it to be inaccessible.

Other things to consider though are other possible obstacles, like having a failing disk, having file system corruption, or other unexpected conditions.

If the disk is bad or if the file system is corrupt then even with proper authorization, authentication and crypt list information, the data may not be accessible. Also, using the wrong recovery XML would make encrypted data inaccessible as well.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Many thanks for your help, I now have a better understanding on how it all works. I have also found out that there is another version of the EZ tool with EUFI support. I think that I may have run out of luck with the secondary disk that was partially decrypted. My last resort may be the use of file recovery tools to retrieve any decrypted files from that disk.

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

The purpose of the EZMBR or EFI builder is to create an iso. You take the iso and build a bootable usb.

https://youtu.be/drMfPKDZMHc

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community