Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Any caveats using Dell IPS-certified SED drive with Drive Encryption

We have a user who is trying to spec out a Dell Precision 3530. They saw that Dell offers an option to use a self encrypting drive which is IPS-certfiied. I am assuming this is what is called a Opal drive.

We are using McAfee drive encryption 7.2.8.4. I have no experience with these self-encrypting drives. How does McAfee drive encryption work wihtn these drives? Are there any problems that I may face if we use them. The user is thinking that this will replace having to use McAfee drive encryption, are they correct?

1 Reply
Reliable Contributor ninov_n
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Any caveats using Dell IPS-certified SED drive with Drive Encryption

Hello,

These types of drives comes with a builtin hardware encryption chip which is used to encrypt every file operation in it. But there is some known vulnerabilities to exploit it too. Hardware encryption is considered more secure type of encryption but McAfee MDE comes with options to force software encryption on top of it for additional security at pre-boot system.

Basically all you need to know is within below articles:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB89333

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB81136

In case above information was useful or answered your question, please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give a Kudo. Thanks!
Nino
Tags (2)
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center