cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to this computer is prohibited

Our helpdesk tech discovered a computer that MDE is saying, "Access to this computer is prohibited". The Tech Tool does not work for the first time. The user's data is locked on the laptop. This is the first instance reported. See screenshots. Can you direct me through some troubleshooting for this?
6 Replies
cross
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Access to this computer is prohibited

I'm sorry for replying with so many questions but with preboot troubles and recovery troubles, there are many things that I may assume incorrectly if I do not.  Maybe I'm just missing it but I'm not seeing any screenshots.  Can you help me with an understanding of the situation when you see this?  Are you able to enter a user name at all?  Are you able to select the recovery options?  Particularly the administrative recovery options?

When you attempt to use DETech, what specifically are you trying to do that fails?  How does it fail?  Is it the standalone tool or within a WinPE disk?

When I post the screenshots and I revisit the post they do not appear to me.  Are you getting the screenshots of the error message at the login prompt?

All my replies to this ticket are not being received by the system. Here is another attempt to attach a screenshot.

Tech tool screenshot again. The screenshot was 6MB which was over the limit. 

1) "I'm sorry for replying with so many questions but with preboot troubles and recovery troubles, there are many things that I may assume incorrectly if I do not.  Maybe I'm just missing it but I'm not seeing any screenshots.  Can you help me with an understanding of the situation when you see this?"

The helpdesk techs are familiar with machine and user recovery options which failed for this error.

2) "Are you able to enter a user name at all?"

Yes, that is the only field.

3) "Are you able to select the recovery options?"

The 'Options' button is all that appears.

4)  "Particularly the administrative recovery options?"

The user and machine recovery options failed.

5) "When you attempt to use DETech, what specifically are you trying to do that fails?"

Login to the system and recover data.

6) "How does it fail?"

There are some details that I must get from the helpdesk tech. I will work on this one.

7)  "Is it the standalone tool or within a WinPE disk?"

It appears to be the standalone tool. I will check if they tried the WinPE disk, but they usually cannot use this being remote.

I will work on collecting more details. Have you seen this error in the screenshot elsewhere?  

Austin

cross
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 7

Thank you for the information.  Judging by the screenshot of preboot, it seems that is just a custom message for the preboot rather than looking like it is coming up as an error message.  

In the screenshots of DETech, the tool being used appears to be a WinPE integrated instance which should be fine for data recovery. In the the pictures, it looks like it has been authorized with the code of the day but it does not look like it has been authenticated.

Since it sounds like the preboot environment is failing to move forward with authentication or recovery options, the next actions will almost certainly have to be done within the recovery tools.  We may have to try to work with the tool you are using or use a standalone tool to attempt an emergency boot.  

Once we know more about the specific actions completed in DETech and what failures have been encountered with the tool we should be able to start forming a direction to take this.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community