cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Odgeuk
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 42

"Unable to Mount SBFS" caused by using Wintech?

I'm going to make the disc again. Using Windows AIK and the MakePECD batch file.

Just to clarify, which version of AIK should I use? There are two on the Windows site which both suggest they support XP (the OS for all our EEPC machines).

Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK)

vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.imghttp://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/WhyValidate.aspx?displayLang=en&FamilyId=c7d4bc6d-15f3-42...

992.2MB

RELEASED: 2/13/2007

OR

Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008
6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso

RELEASED: 4/9/2008

Re: "Unable to Mount SBFS" caused by using Wintech?

Emergency Boot for 5.x works from Floppy drive or bootable CD (that you can create from floppy).

Issue with hanging is due to USB handback. Disable USB Legacy in BIOS and use latest WinTech utility for EPC 5.x.

Odgeuk
Level 7
Message 13 of 42

.....and disabling USB support stops the USB Floppy drive from being seen to boot to Safetech!

That is why you need to create bootable CD from that floppy. Can use MagicISO for that.

You can get WinTech for EEPC 5.2.6 (as part of that product) from McAfee products download site. Just use your grant number.

Message was edited by: peter_eepc on 1/27/11 1:55:09 PM EST
jickfoo
Level 11
Message 15 of 42

The floppy may seem like it's frozen but it's just really really slow. I dont know why. Boot again with it, do code of the day and auth from a .sdb on the disk. It will take a good 5 minutes but it will go through.

I am struggling with this same error. So far what I've learned about Safeboot is just about every error is non-recoverable. None of these procedures work reliably. When you get a safeboot error, your pretty much screwed and when you open a case with support, they instantly close it without explanation. Sorry to be so negative but this is my experience with the product so far.

Great majority of EEPC/SafeBoot errors or problems are recoverable. You just need to know how to recover.

I guess that knowledge is not as widespread as some would wish to be.

Please provide details about your cases, otherwise there is not much to comment on.

rbarstow
Level 10
Message 17 of 42

Boot from floppy instead of CD? Why?? None of our laptops even have floppy drives any more.

Use WinTech for everything except for Emergency Boots - it's boatloads faster. We use our own WinPE2 boot CD, which includes network drivers for all our supported hardware. Added WinTech to it, makes it easier for all. (can get on the network, run chkdsk, etc...) I'm tempted to build a bootable USB stick, but haven't had the time yet.

After 6 months, you should have a fair collection of "known errors" for your environment, along with the repair process for each. We're above 95% for data recovery--unless there is a physical error with the drive.

jickfoo
Level 11
Message 18 of 42

95% recovery ? That's great . What's your procedure for recovering " Unable to Mount SBFS " ?

Why not share your repair processes for known errors ?

Highlighted
rbarstow
Level 10
Message 19 of 42

Unable to mount SBFS is not one of my known errors. The errors seem to be specific to the environment, eg. the typical machines you have, your installer builds and options, the machine policies you use, and the overall architecture. Solutions I use may not work for you. That said....

Boot Time

SafeBoot Login Screen appears

(a) Temp/startnow

(b) Machine Recovery

(End User + TSC/SB Admin)

SafeBoot is not installed

Force Decrypt most likely

(WinTech + .sdb file)

Error 10h

BIOS/HD error, means bad HD. Most likely the data   will be completely unrecoverable.

WinTech boot + ntbackup (try anyway)

Error 80h

BIOS or HD error.

Try the drive in a different shell.

Run BIOS diagnostics.

Error [E002000A]: SafeBoot has been corrupted   (92h)

Emergency Boot

(SafeTech CD + .sdb file)

SbClientLog.txt

ERROR: [e0000001]: insufficient memory

SBRecovery boot

Mount SBFS as   drive, then delete \Audit\AuditLog.Dat

May need to rename file instead of delete.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 42

the fix for unable to mount SBFS depends on why you are trying to mount it in the first place?

That's not the root error - you only get that from within WinTech itself, so the question is, what were you trying to do which lead you to think you had to mount SBFS?

If it's a non-booting pre-boot, the fix is emergency boot (if the disk info is still intact), or a forced decryption if not.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community