cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

database error

That is interesting - Gold/Platinum never stated there would be a problem running the commands with the DB up.

Haven't had any problems with good objects being removed or groups of them by using the sbadmcl -cleanupxgroup. Have had probably 3 or 4 dead objects found in the past 6 months of using the commands and those were sometimes prompted to be done because we couldn't pull up the properties of an object in the DB or reset a group to the configuration.

We have per machine about 8 users assigned to them max - I think support believes we are adding our 3000 user group to every machine hence their reluctance to help me unless I "break the groups into 500 or less increments"... which to me is ridiculous. What do larger enterprises do when they have 100K+ objects... break them into 5000 different user groups or machine groups? Somehow I doubt it...

We also have a very robust dedicated physical server that exceeds ALL of the spec recommendations.

RE: database error

I strongly second that recommendation. It will definetely cause damage if they are active user connections to a database. Make sure that script is run to a local database and other communication/database services are turned off. Better yet, run them on a recent copy of production database, to see potential effects first, before you run it on production system

database error

Possibly - if your server cannot handle the communication at the same time the sbadmcl tool is running you could run into issues.

I monitor server performance any time I run the command and rarely goes over 20% CPU - quad core, 4GB, dedicated internal 2nd hard drive for DB alone, network traffic rarely over 5% utilization.
ChrisH
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 14 of 16

Im a little bit confused, as your advice is not to do anything to the database or run the SBADMCL .exe
I have recieved this advice from McAfee gold support,

Suggested Solution:-

In this case, I would recommend you to perform a Database Maintenance using the various commands mentioned in the attachments.

For example,

SBADMCL -Command:CleanupUserGroup -Adminuser:Administrator -Adminpwd:”” -Group:”SafeBoot Users -Database:"Customer database"

This process has to be done per group, so could be done during daytime if the groups are small. You can automate running through a CSV-file with user-groups.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Please select "Reply All" when replying to this email.

Regards,
name removed
Tier-1 McAfee Gold Support Engineer
McAfee Inc.
Now I am not sure if I should try it or not as we have conflicting advice and views.
Highlighted

I'm confused now - see above quote this was my original suggestion - appears that McAfee Gold Support advised the same action.

My previous response was in regards to the previous thread comment.
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 16 of 16

don't forget this is a community forum, this is not support. It's up to you to determine how good the advice you get here is.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community