cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after IBM updates - user gets error 0xe0050001 "Safeboot is not installed"

VIP user with lots of unbacked up data. HELP PLEASE !!!

getting SafeBoot Error 0xe0050001 "Safeboot is not installed"

got on phone with Tech Support and they had me do:

input .sbd file on USB
authenticate to it
determine start sector
determine sector count

use that start and count info in fields "Force Crypt Sectors"

first pass - got about 1/2 way
2nd attempt - gets about 1% thru

both end in "not responding" - the "not responding" / hourglass icon doesnt go away even after 30 minutes.

is there something more we can do - this is a VIP

Machine is IBM Lenovo x300 running 32 bit XP, no disk compression

has Safeboot version 5.1.6

machine worked for 2 months then after VIP applied IBM updates, getting SafeBoot Error 0xe0050001 "Safeboot is not installed"
5 Replies

RE: after IBM updates - user gets error 0xe0050001 "Safeboot is not installed"

I was unclear as to what update you installed. It also might help what build of 5.1.6 you have as one had an issue with sata drives on lenovo machines. Have you tried turning SATA to Compatibility mode in the bios?

I'd just like to add, that when we rolled this out to all our company laptops, we rolled out a daily backup solution first. Given all the bad things that can happen or go wrong when you encrypt a drive, I think it's a must... this is just my 2 cents.
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 6

doing force decrypt twice was a bad move - now you've double-decrypted some sectors. A normal decrypt would understand not to decrypt the same sector twice, but a force decrypt does exactly what you tell it to.

I'd stop right now and call support, but getting the data back now will be tough.
RBC_CS
Level 7
Message 4 of 6

The original problem is likely from the Rescue and Recovery application.

When you run the update to this program, it rewrites the MBR. This can sometimes be fixed by going into the Safetech cd and writing the Safeboot MBR back to the drive.

As a general rule - before I make any changes to the drive, I check if I can see any data on the drive and copy it up to the network. I have had more then one drive become nonreadable after removes / force decrypt failures.

I'm guessing this is from a bios update. I'm sorry to say I have not had much luck getting data off of Lenovos after this update, since it gives the error that safeboot is not installed with normal recovery. With the force decrypt you might have had a chance but running it twice probably broke it. I agree with Safeboot you should log a ticket with support and have them attempt to recover this data.
wmorr
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

Re: after IBM updates - user gets error 0xe0050001 "Safeboot is not installed"

I also just received an IBM laptop with this error.  The owner had loaded an IBM backup program which must have messed with the MBR.  I booted into Wintech, authenticated to the hard drive using the Database SDB key, and then went to Disk --> Restore EEPC MBR.  It worked like a charm and the system booted right up again.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community