cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP corrupt & Mcafee Endpoint Encription v5.1

Jump to solution

Dear all,

today I've got a windows corruption failure. It is not possible complete windows load in normal mode, nor safe mode, nor debug... I'm getting a blu-screen immediately after windows logon is displayed. Trying boot with a Microsoft CD to repair windows doesn't help: drive C: is not recognized because system starts CD booting before introducing the Endpoint Encryption password.

Attending to my company corporate policies, my computer has the harddisk encrypted with Mcafee EndPoint Encryption version 5.1. I need access this disk and extract my information before reinstall operating system. I've been reading other threads about procedures for removing Endpoint Encryption, but I'm not sure about if these solutions fit fine for my situation, since I've a computer which doesn't boot and I haven't the computer's configuration file (.sdb) referred on these threads.

I would really appreciate your collaboration and support.

Best regards,

Antonio R.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Windows XP corrupt & Mcafee Endpoint Encription v5.1

Jump to solution

Hi all,

at the end I solved it by myself since the only solution provided by  IT department was reinstall the computer and loose the data. Now I've my hdisk decrypted and my data recovered and copied into anew one harddisk.

***SANITIZED***** downloaded and build a BartPE boot disk and finally perform the decryption. It took 1 hour for a 70 Gb disk.

Thanks to all of you for your advise and support, but the solution finally was on the internet and not in the Helpdesk department.

Regards,

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 3/22/11 9:00:49 AM EDT
18 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 19

Jump to solution

simply call YOUR helpdesk and ask them to recover you - it's not really something you should be trying to do as an end-user. Without the support of your helpdesk you're not going to be able to do much anyway. 

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 3/18/11 4:51:15 PM EDT

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your fast answer.

I wish get such kind answer from the helpdesk, but when I called them this morning they only offered me the possibility to reinstall the computer and recover my data from the backup tool. The problem is that latest full backup is from January 2011.

Kind regards,

Antonio R.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

It's their computer unfortunately.

You can't actually recover it without their agreement anyway - good luck with convincing them to help you!

Jump to solution

Hello again,

so, you mean that they would be able to remove EndPoint Encryption despite of my computer is not booting and entering in the domain?

My company has the helpdesk moved to bestshore (I mean, this is a remote service; no local IT is available) How they would manage remotely this situation?

Regards,

Antonio R.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Jump to solution

they can send you stuff to decrypt the machine for sure - you are right, you can't remotely fix a broken windows install.

It's entirely possible to recover all your data - if it gets lost, it was through choice, not through necessity.

Jump to solution

I see.

For sure they will not send nobody locally to resolv the problem. They removed local IT support several years ago and what they've achieved with this is that employees search for support through colleagues working in the same office.

I will buy a new disk and install the corporate image, but I will not apply encryption anymore because it has not provided any advantage for me.

Thank you very much for your support and interest.

Regards,

Antonio R.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

Encryption is not for you - it's for your company so when you loose your machine, they don't have to write to all their customers and suppliers and tell them about it, or pay government fines, or fire people.

play by the rules and keep your machine protected is my advice Antonio....

Jump to solution

Hello SafeBoot

I completelly agree with you about security compliance. The fact of getting work of last 6 months completelly lost makes me angry and dissapointed with the policies, but I know they are a "must".

I've already installed on a new disk the entire computer with corporate image. If I would encrypt new disk with same key I had before, do you think if  plug-in old disk this would be accesible as an USB external drive?

Regards,

Antonio R.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

It's not possible to "re-use" the old key - every time the product activates it picks a new, unique key.

It's really not that hard to decrypt your current machine, especially considering the pre-boot code works perfectly. All you need is for your company to get you a daily code.

I would pursue that option - perhaps if you PM me your company details I can find out who the McAfee contact is for them?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator