cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DKB223
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Windows 7 Enterprise Prompting 2 Minute Warning Once Encryption Software Has Been Installed

Specs are as follows:

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 server with SP1

ePolicy Orchestrator 5.1

DE 7.1

Test laptops are Dell E4300 Latitude laptops with Windows 7 Enterprise with SP1

Laptops use our standard image

I have been able to reproduce 6 times now the following: 

Add the laptop to my EPO 5.1 server

Push McAfee Agent 4.8 to my laptop

Add a user account

Run a task to push the encryption agent and encryption software

Once that task is done, I get a reboot prompt from the McAfee software

After the reboot, I get back to my desktop and open the status window for the McAfee client

As soon as I see the the C drive shows Decrypted, I see the dialog box from windows stating that Windows is scheduled to shutdown

We have no policies or GPOs in place within our domain to auto-shutdown or logoff a client computer. I also have not set any login hours within my policy for the user account on my EPO server. I believe that something within the encryption product is causing this behavior. I am unable to put my finger on what this might be. Has anyone else noticed this behavior at all?

I have seen something similar with EEPC 5.2.4 and 5.2.12 locking Windows once the encryption process begins.  It wasn't a show stopper, so I didn't really spend much time researching it.

See the screenshots:

Restart1.jpg

Restart2.jpg

6 Replies
DKB223
Level 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Windows 7 Enterprise Prompting 2 Minute Warning Once Encryption Software Has Been Installed

Shameless bump.

Re: Windows 7 Enterprise Prompting 2 Minute Warning Once Encryption Software Has Been Installed

Do you have "Enable Pre-Boot Smart Check (BIOS based systems only)" enabled in the product settings under Encryption Providers?  I think that was causing extra reboots for us when we were testing 7.0.1.  I haven't had time to go in and verify it but I was disappointed that enabling that options kicked off a short shutdown timer and you coudln't configure it at all (allow delay, etc.)

DKB223
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

I just checked and I do have that option enabled! I've turned it off and will test. Thank you for that reply! I will report back and let you know. I am using DE7.1 now and I couldn't imagine what would be causing the two minute warning message.

DKB223
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

So, that didn't work. However, I noticed something called Force System Restart Once Activation Completes. I am going to try that on another client I have. Maybe that is the setting that has to be unchecked. Not sure if that is the 2 min thing or if that is the initial reboot after installing the encryption software and agent. I'll report back again when I have more info.

DKB223
Level 7
Message 6 of 7

So, unchecking the box for Force Restart Once Activation Completes is the magical setting! I just started an encryption and now 2 min warning! Glad that is solved now. Thank you again for the suggestion mnovelle.  Much appreciated.

Thanks for doing the testing on 7.1.  That's good info to know!

Also, for the future, I think this might get better visibility in the ePO managed section of the forum:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/data/epoenc

Good luck with your rollout.  We're about to start putting new clients on 7.x.  We've been on 5.2.11 up until now.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community