cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's difference between partially and full encryption algorithm on EEPC 5.2.4?

Jump to solution

Hi..

I read from document about that but not clear. My customer ask me in deep technical. I test by bring full and partially encrypted hard disk boot by WinPE. I can't see the data in both harddisk.

Could you please tell me what difference??

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Re: What's difference between partially and full encryption algorithm on EEPC 5.2.4?

Jump to solution

partial only encrypts the first 10% of the drive - it's for TESTING ONLY. Yes, if you loose the machine, 90% of the drive will be unprotected. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: What's difference between partially and full encryption algorithm on EEPC 5.2.4?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Full Encryption : will encrypt whole drive which should be used in live environment

Partial Encyption : will only encrypt first 10% of drive. and it is used for test environment. when you do not want waste (wait) time for encryption/decryption. For example you want to show POC of Recovery to customer.

Jump to solution

You mean that benefit of partial for only POC?

When deploy to client can I use parital encryption to reduce the time or recomment to use full?

So If I used partial, and my laptop is lost. Can stranger read data or recovery harrdisk?

My customer want to know the benefit.

Thank you for your all comments.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

partial only encrypts the first 10% of the drive - it's for TESTING ONLY. Yes, if you loose the machine, 90% of the drive will be unprotected. 

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

correct me if i;m wrong..

example in 40 gb drive you may only used 10gb space.

Full Encryption - encrypt the whole disk which is 40gb which including the unused space or sector.

Partial encryption - only encrypt 10gb which being used by data.

There is pro and cons..

cons for full - more time to decryt, bigger space to image

pro for full not easy to identify which sector being used for data..

Jump to solution

correct me if i;m wrong..

example in 40 gb drive you may only used 10gb space.

Full Encryption - encrypt the whole disk which is 40gb which including the unused space or sector.

Partial encryption - only encrypt 10gb which being used by data.

There is pro and cons..

cons for full - more time to decryt, bigger space to image

pro for full not easy to identify which sector being used for data..

Not to get too off track, but data isn't stored in a linear form on a disk.  That means that even if you're only using 10GB of data, it's spread across the entire disk over time.  While I'm not certain, I'll bet that McAfee encrypts disks from the first encryptable sector on in a linear fashion.  This means that unless your data all resides in the first 10 GB of that 40 GB disk (by sector number), which is rather unlikely, you're not encrypting all of your data with a partial encrypt even if you're using 10% or less of the available space.

If someone didn't want the entire disk encrypted, you'd want to opt for File based encryption instead of Full Disk Encryption.

Message was edited by: Christopher-Boston on 8/31/10 5:26:28 PM EDT
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community