cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What causes "Error loading operating system" error after installing Endpoint and has anyone found a solution?

I installed Endpoint on my laptop, rebooted fine the first time. Synched it with our server and rebooted, came up to Endpoint logon screen; entered credentials Endpoint went as far as "Startting Operating System..." but then halts at "Error loading operating system". Has anyone encountered this type of problem, is there a solution to get Win XP to boot again? Thanks.

19 Replies

Re: What causes "Error loading operating system" error after installing Endpoint and has anyone found a solution?

Did you try to use Emergency Boot from SafeTech? What PC is that? Does it have original manufacturer's XP installation or was that customized? Did you use special settings or options for creating install set?

Re: What causes "Error loading operating system" error after installing Endpoint and has anyone found a solution?

I have not tried Emergency Boot disk, will try that. The pc is an ASUS G1S Core 2 Duo T7500. It has a VLK win XP install, nothing fancy on it. No special settings used for the install set. This is the first time I have seen this error message since deploying MEE on other laptops. All others work fine.

I would try to set BIOS disk to SATA compatibility mode.

The BIOS settings is set to sata comaptible. No other security settings in bios. Its really odd that this would happen with the install of MEE, all other laptops work fine. I've been checking Mcafee's KB but not much info in there regarding this issue.

It is possible that enhanced pre-boot disk access handling has been improved in recent versions of EEPC. If you use an older version, I would suggest to try newest one to see if it resolves your problem.

Are you saying that this model of laptops is the only one exhibiting the behavior? I would try with an install set that has the option "Update MBR for compatibility..." checked on.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee HS3
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 8 of 20

What is the safeboot version installed on these machines?

Safe boot version installed is 5.1

rbarstow
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 10 of 20

Version 5.0.1 ??? or 5.1.0 ?

Current version is 5.2.2 ( and 5.2.3 is due out shortly).

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community