Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

Virtualize existing Safeboot Server

I want to virtualize an existing Safeboot Server v4.2.11.0. Is it possible to run a simple physical to virtual conversion or will I run into problems concerning any hash values for the encryption etc.?
Generally I think I could test everything with the virtual system and if I get any problems simply boot the old physical system.

Does anyone have any experience with situations like that?

Greetings from Germany :),
M. Simonis
12 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 13

RE: Virtualize existing Safeboot Server

I moved my SB server from one ESX server to another and then back again with no problems. I know its not quite the same but stil.... grin
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 13

RE: Virtualize existing Safeboot Server

Again not from a physical host but virtual to virtual (but not vmotion) so almost the same. You should be able to P to V it (VC 2) or use the plan consolodation wizard (VC 2.5). If you are using ESX i would strongly recommend using VC 2.5 as the consolodation wizard is great... Just point at a networked machine, give it credentials, pick a host, and it virtualises it for you
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 13

it works

Thanks for your answers. I ran the server through p2v with microsoft virtual Machine Manager and everything still works.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 13

RE: it works

Hello

How are the virtual systems going? Seen any problems with it?
Iv'e been told that <500 clients is ok in an vitrualized environment. There's suppose to be a whitepaper on that, but haven't found it yet... Are you running more clients?

Is it working alright?

best regards
Mattias
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 13

I've seen it virtualised on an ESX box with a couple of thousand and no hiccups. I guess its about reserving it enough memory and being careful how many VMs are utilising the processor on each physical server.
Apart from that its just about bandwidth and in all honesty ePO isn't paticularly bandwidth intensive, and if your base server has say a gb connection back to a switch and youre not running any other bandwidth intensive VMS i dont see there being a problem
Patch 3 which is on the managed release phase at the moment (final testing and QA) adds support for ESX 3.5 if support is an issue.
Since 4.0 virtualisation has been supported by ePO so I don't see why there would be a restriction on clients, its probably more about the underlying hardware/network.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 13

Did you find that whitepaper in the end? We're running nearly 700 clients, everything seems okay. Will let you know when it blows up!
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 13

You can't really go wrong with under 1000 clients, not much you can do will hurt it. The system was designed for 150,000+ clients - then it gets sensitive to poor performance hardware etc.

as long as you don't change the server DNS name (or IP address if you chose to use that) it will work fine, though with various levels of performance.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 13

Haven't found the whitepaper yet. Could be from old SafeBoot and not incorporated in McAfee KC and thats why I'm not finding it. But I'll keep looking.

Good to know that 1000 clients shouldn't be a problem om VM:s.
Thanks for the feedback kpx.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 13

There is a sizing guide that I thought came in the DOCUMENTATION folder with the installer. What I was told was that as long as the Virtual Machine has the same hardware allocated to it that the sizing guide has, there wouldn't be a problem. If the PDF didn't come with your installer, maybe the SAFEBOOT guy can dig it up.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community