Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mwilke
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Upgraded laptop and then dowgraded it now its hosed

Ok so we took a test laptop and upgraded it from 5.1.8 to 5.2.3

Then we took the same laptop and synced it to the DR server which was still setting at 5.1.8 and it downgraded.

Now its hosed.  Did an emergency boot to get into windows and sync and the sync log states that "endpoint encryption for PC is not activated"

Any ideas?  The machine object is enabled so that cant be it.  Probably just needs re-imaged but just want to know if there is a way to fix this just incase we have a real laptop do this.

6 Replies

Re: Upgraded laptop and then dowgraded it now its hosed

Yeah, downgrading is a problem. I would just image it, or you might run WinTech based EEPC remowal followed by client unistall.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

you can use WinTech to suck the data off, or decrypt it. In what way is it "hozed" though?

mwilke
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

I am sure i could use wintech to recover any data and if thats the best you can do in this scenario that will be ok.

When the laptop boots i get a black screen with an error something like  "incorrect verion installed" no pre-boot auth screen or anything.

I figured an EBoot would work because it would rebuild the sbfs on the laptop and fix it but no dice.

This is just a test laptop and its not a huge deal i just know that there are other boneheads such as myself that will probably do this eventually and id like to know the best possible fix so when it happens on a production box i can get it fixed quickly.

"sucking data off" is good, but disk would still need to be reimaged to get EEPC working again.

By WinTech EEPC removal, decryption is done, then EEPC client would need to be unistalled, followed by proper EEPC installation.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

not sure I agree - removing the encryption and preboot with Win/SafeTech should get it booting again, then the Windows code will rebuild everything. As long as the windows side is all one version, it should not have a problem.

I do not have that much trust in Windows code...as we have seen its action in the first post.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community