cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to access files / Encryption

Hello there,

After a power breakdown, my HP Elitebook 820 had some issues. I managed to restart Windows properly, I checked the disks with chkdsk and ran the usual defrag software. Just before turning the PC off I noticed that the "recovery" partition was  empty, while is was regularly almost full. I didn't really paid attention and turn off the PC.

Tha next day, my computer failed to start and got the following message "EPC is corrupted". I contacted the IT service of my company who tried to restore the data with some MCafee ETECH bootable software but it didn't work because the main partition was marked as "unallocated" and was not accessible. They told me they could't do anything and finally gave my a new PC, but I still need to recover my files which are still on the old SSD drive!! Thy also recommend to try to find a third party solution so I am trying to find a solution on my own.

The problem is that :

1) the old PC cannot boot

2) if I unplug the SSD drive from the old PC and plug it into another one, I  am offered to format the partition where my files are located but I cannot access it because of the encryption

3) I tried to use partition recovery software like Mini Tool, AOMEI, Easeus but those software only manage to find some huge 2GB or 3GB *.SWF files which I can't use also because of the encryption

3) I can't put my hands on your ETECH bootable software and can't attempt to decrypt my SSD drive

Finally, the IT guy gave me an XML file which is supposed to allow me to decrypt the drive somehow but without the mcafee bootable sofware I can't do anything. This whole encryption thing is really annoying and nobody is able to provide a proper support.. can you please advice as the software has been made by your company?

Many thanks and best regards,

Lucas

1 Reply

Re: Unable to access files / Encryption

Hi Lucas

I noticed that you can't access the ZIP from McAfee with EEtech tool , why? IT guys might be able to do it for you, anyway, by my experience EETECH tool can decrypt the hard drive.
please ask again to your IT Team to gather the usb bootable image required to do so.
if they don't know how to look the zip file, follow the below thread about similar topic:

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Encryption-ePO-Managed/EETECH-ZIP-needed/td-p/227929

good luck with the decryption.
Regards
jose

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.