cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Crashed in middle of Manual Decrypt

System would not boot. 3 partitions. User data on 3rd Partion (E Drive).

Went into Wintech to recover data. Authorised/Authenticated no problems. A43 would not open.

Rebooted. Opened A43 first. Could see all 3 system drives/partitions. Opened Wintech. Went back to A43 and could see data. Tried to copy data to external I had attached. Would freeze after a few seconds. Manual Decrypt time.

Rebooted and started manual decrypt and let it run. Power cable must have been loose because it turned off about 5 hours in. Last I looked at it had decrypted a little over 60 mil of 104 mil sectors.

Rebooted and started manual decrypt again. First Mistake. Rebooted system again after realizing I probably should not have started again. Second Mistake.

Rebooted. Opened A43 then Wintech and authorise/authenticate. No longer can see any user data. Can see data on the second partition but no user data there that user would need.

Any suggestions?

10 Replies

Re: System Crashed in middle of Manual Decrypt

If it was as you have said "Rebooted. Opened A43 first. Could see all 3 system drives/partitions.", why didn't you recover/copy your data at that time?

Which version of encryption product did you have installed?

Do you know how to use Disk Information and Workspace fuctions to determine which sectors are encrypted and which ones are not?

Quote "Would freeze after a few seconds."

Version 5.2.3; Using 5.2.3 wintech.

And yes, I know how to use both of these funtions. Sorry about wrong terminology, I meant Force Decrypt, not Manual decrypt.

The problem I am having is determining which sector it stopped at. When I look at it in the  Workspace, it still looks like scrambled text, even when I decrypt or encrypt the workspace.

Highlighted

Then use binary tree search to inspect bigger sector range. Also load more than one sector to workspace at a time, I use 4.

Look at other patterns: multiple 00 or FF's are also indication of data being seen in clear.

I will try in the morning when I get in. Thanks!

Oh, I see what you asked peter. Because I had to authenticate and authorise as the drive was encrypted. I did try to copy the data at that point but it would freeze up. I have had success in the past when this happens by force decrypting.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 11

yeah - force decrypt does not keep a record of where it got to - that's why you shouldnt use it unless absolutely necessary.

Your only hope is via inspection as you say, but if the user has compressed data, movies, videos, zips etc, you won't be able to tell the difference. As peter says, just binary chop through the drive until you have an idea of the beginning and the end, and hope the MFT is included in that. Then you might be able to use some file recovery tools to construct the rest.

Success! I did have to manually inspect using workspace to find out where it had stopped and started. Then force encrypt that which I had decrypted twice. Whew! Was like finding a needle in a haystack but I got it close enough. The MFT was at the front of the drive so once I got that back to a plain text state, I could see everything again with the A43 utility.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Message was edited by: curtandy on 2/10/11 11:24:40 AM GMT-06:00

Message was edited by: curtandy on 2/10/11 11:25:14 AM GMT-06:00
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 11

glad it worked out for you - a sharp eye and a little patience, and pretty much anything is recoverable.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

what do you mean by "manual decrypt"? Can you remember exactly what options you picked? It's very very important for your chances of success.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community