I have a strange issue here, we have a machine that appears to be synchronising with the network, however the statusbox is blank, has anyone come accross this and have a fix, short of removal and reinstall
version 5.1.8 build 5600 win xp sp 3
I have a couple of incidents of this happen on Vista machines. The SBClientLog.txt file gets created in the user's profile space. I forget exactly where it was, but I found it by browsing around in the user's AppData folder. I deleted the log file in the SafeBoot program directory and moved the populted file in place and the SB client picked that one up and kept using it. I suspect it would have began using the log file in the SB directory if i had simply deleted the other file, but I didn't want to lose the info in it
You wrote: "I suspect it would have began using the log file in the SB directory if i had simply deleted the other file, but I didn't want to lose the info in it "
As a general remark (non-Safeboot specific) I can suggest you simply rename a file when you delete it. If something has a fixed name the app won't find it anyway. And if it's causing problems, you should be able to put it back.