cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Saver automatically invoked after synch?

Hi,

We've seen a strange issue randomly occuring on some user machines, that I hope someone can help with.

Periodically, after a SB synch is performed manually on a device, the device will immediately launch the screen saver and lock Windows. The trouble is, it doesn't always happen so it is difficult to troubleshoot.

We don't actually use the SB screen saver, so I wonder if I need to untick the "enable secure screen saver" option in the device's group settings? None of the sub-options are ticked under this anyway, but the main option was ticked by default, so I'm a bit worried about disabling it on a live group without knowing what it does.

The only other thing I can think of would be some of the authentication options under the general device group settings? For example, we don't use the SSO option, so it may decide the user is unauthenticated after each synch, and hence the lock?

Any expert ideas? I'm finding it hard to test under test device groups as the issue is intermittant.

Thanks!
5 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

RE: Screen Saver automatically invoked after synch?

It will lock if the preboot user becomes invalid, ie if you remove them from a machine, they get disabled, login hours expire etc.

I think this also happens if the machine was booted via single boot machine recovery and the 'Do not lock workstation if no user is authenticated' option in the machine properties is not checked.
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Very true. Because in that case the boot user ( noone) is never valid.

In addition to above conditions, Windows screen lock occurs also upon fresh installation of EEPC Client (i.e. during Windows session when pre-boot was created/activated).

Thanks for the answers everyone!

It is strange as the logged on user should still be valid on the laptop after the synch. That is the SB user account though, we have kept things separate from the Windows/AD. Could that be related?

I can certainly tick the 'Do not lock workstation if no user is authenticated' general option. Would that have any downside in real security terms?

Thanks again!
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community