Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yewcho
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

SSL cert for Webhelpdesk

How to generate the SSL certificate needed for the webhelpdesk console ? I got the Enterprise CA infra in place.
10 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

RE: SSL cert for Webhelpdesk

are you asking how to generate a cert with your CA?
yewcho
Level 7
Message 3 of 11

How can I generate a cert for the use of Webhelpdesk via my company CA ?
Do I need to install MS IIS to request for a server cert ? Which cert format is supported by the Webhelpdesk, pfx or cer ? Thanks for your help.
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 11

you need a server auth cert, pfx format is easiest. The name of the cert should be the web address your users will use to access the server. You don't need IIS, or rather we don't need that, but you do need a certificate so if your PKI can't create a cert, you'll need something else to do that for you.
mwilke
Level 7
Message 5 of 11

If you use the new APACHE version of the web helpdesk you can generate your own cert very easily with openSSL.
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 11

the cert is the same regardless of which WebHelpdesk you use.
mwilke
Level 7
Message 7 of 11

True, but generating a cert from a CA server and generating one from openSSL is much different.

Some companies do not have a CA server... so in that case, instead of purchasing a cert from someone else that will expire every year, you can use openSSL to generate your own and give it whatever life span you want.

Plus, the Apache version, its much quicker and much better in what little i have seen of it.

Re: RE: SSL cert for Webhelpdesk

Do I still have to call Support for the Apache version or is it bundled with 5.2.3?

It is not included in 5.2.3 despite previous promises. Call your support.

I did. They won't give it to me without escalating it. Just going to contact Tier III....from what I've read I guess its a lot better than the original version. Thanks guys.