Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mdktch
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

SFDBBackup - Which type of backup to choose

Here I am in the process of identifying the right backup type for my EEPC 5.1.9 environment which has a huge DB of More than 4 GB in Size.

I definitely cannot go with option "What to Copy - All files and Folder" as when tested it took almost 6 hours to complete and I don’t think it is really required.

How ever long back when we had 4.2 McAfee support person had informed about probable bug in the change log option and with the newer file options.

So i would like to know if these bugs are taken care in EEPC 5.1.9 and also which is the suggested type of backup considering 4GB of DB (more than 15000 machine and users).

Please advice....
6 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

RE: SFDBBackup - Which type of backup to choose

not sure I know of any bugs in the backup tool.

how long does it take to copy 4GB to your backup location? It can't get any faster than that if you want to do an entire backup.

I have the same issue, we have about 1GB of database to be backed up. It tool 3 days for the backup tool to run the backup over the WAN link to the server in west coast. Once the backup got complete, and I checked the folder size, all files were not there and the folder was half in size of the origional on the east coast server.

What are the best practices in this type of situation.
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

what files were missing? Some are excluded by default, they are runtime and not needed in your backup (FDB files for example, namesx.dat..).

Change log following backups are the fastest for incremental use, but if your WAN is slow, then it will be slow regardless - there's no magic. I would replicate onsite, then offload over the WAN using some other less critical measure.

I am just copying the SBDATA folder. Do I need to copy anything else? I am working right now to copy the folder on our SAN locally locally located on site in west coast and then will move from there to the server.
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

SAN storage? urgh. I hope it's tier1 for performance...

You only really need SBData, but if you back up the EEM directory as well, you'll have everything needed to restore without starting from the CD again - the database does not include things like connector settings.

Great, I am using robocopy now to do the whole MEE folder backup on the hotbackup server
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator