cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repartitioning tool working with BartPE/WinTech ?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I wanted to have your feedback about any kind of graphic tool that works on a bootable CD (BartPE/WinTech).

We would like to give the possibility to our Tech guys to resize the OS and Data partition without decryption the HD.

So I wanted to have info about which tool (even licenced) can do this job on a BartPE/WinTech CD

Kind regards,

David

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 8

Re: Repartitioning tool working with BartPE/WinTech ?

Jump to solution

No, it's not something we "officially support" - which means, if it messes things up, you can't call our support number and ask for help - it would be like calling McAfee and asking how to do cascaded table numbering in Word 10. It's not our product, how would we know?

BUT, within certain boundaries it should work fine. Just make sure whatever you use to adjust the partitions does not move any safeboot.* files in the root of the boot drive. Other than that, you're in the hands of the partition changing tool - it's up to it to follow all the rules and put things back in the right places.

7 Replies

Jump to solution

I'm not aware of any that would do that.

Jump to solution

In I have found a couple, like Paragon Partition magic or acronis, but I was looking for a working plugin or people who experienced that on the Wintech bootable CD.

And in the other way, how it is possible to achiev that task ? How McAfee is supporting this ?

Jump to solution

But at least, does anybody know if this is a process that McAfee is supporting, I mwan the possibility to resize an encrypted aprtition, even under Windows itself ?

Can anyone confirm ?

Kind regards,
David

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

No, it's not something we "officially support" - which means, if it messes things up, you can't call our support number and ask for help - it would be like calling McAfee and asking how to do cascaded table numbering in Word 10. It's not our product, how would we know?

BUT, within certain boundaries it should work fine. Just make sure whatever you use to adjust the partitions does not move any safeboot.* files in the root of the boot drive. Other than that, you're in the hands of the partition changing tool - it's up to it to follow all the rules and put things back in the right places.

Jump to solution

Thank you very much. That was exactly what I was supposing, but just wanted a confirmation.

We have tried a couple of different tools, but before choosing one, I needed to know if it may cause any particular issue.

In our internal guidelines, we will note that thing related to the SBFS in the C: drive.

Many thank again for your very helpfull and clear answer.

Kind regards.

David

Jump to solution

I'm not sure and not tried this but..

You can repartition it but would it change the SBR info especially the CRYPT List?

even if we're not moving safeboot .* file, are we sure that Partition tools would not change the SBR info  esp on SBFS infomation?

Message was edited by: obelicks on 10/5/10 1:30:36 PM MYT
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

the crypt list is a list of what is, and what's not encrypted - moving the partitions around does not change that, the sectors will still be encrypted and decrypted the same.

the repartitioning tool works within windows, so its writes go through the crypt as well.

the interesting part is the routine which interprets the policy - it wants to encrypt C and not D for example, so the hard work is translating "C" to a sector range - that's the part unique to EEPC. If the system thinks C is 1-1000 and the drive says C: is 1-900, then EEPC should go and decrypt 901-1000 on the next sync.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community