Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Removable media encryption error "Incorrect key"

Dear Friends,

I have faced one strange error one of EEPC installed client.

One laptop is running with EEPC 5.2.2 with full disk encryption. Removable media encryption option is set "never encrypt" under encryption. Client is sync properly with server. When i connect USB pendriver to that laptop first time it ask for formate (no issue) but when i open EEPC status is shows "incorrect key" error.

I formate pendrive (from EEPC installed machine as well as normal machine) and reconnect it. From EEPC server console i select "manually encrypt" and sync client again select "never encrypt" option and sync client machine but in all the case it show same error.

I am not able to figure out what is the cause of this issue. Can you please help me out to figure out this issue.

EEPC version 5.2.2

There are 3 partitions and all are fully encrypt.

Here i am attachine screenshot and sbclientlog file.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 21

Re: Removable media encryption error "Incorrect key"

The problem is that this USB device was encrypted by EEPC at some point, perhaps by someone else? It has an encrypted keyblock marker on it.

You need to use a sector editor or something (like WinTech) to zero out the first 64 sectors of the storage to remove the marker. Then format the key again on a machine without EEPC installed to clear it.

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 10/1/11 8:55:56 AM EDT
0 Kudos
Level 9

Re: Removable media encryption error "Incorrect key"

Thanks for Replay.

Can you please tell what option is used to zero out first 64 sector using Wintech?

0 Kudos