cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Questions on Ext. HDD encrypted with EERM

Hi all,

I know next to nothing on this topic but have been reading a little on the threads here to try to understand but I'm still confused.

I have a 1TB ext HDD (WD my passport ultra) which was out of the box formatted in FAT32

I wrote a bunch of data (107GB) from my old work laptop to the hard drive, including a 7.5GB outlook pst file. According to what I've read about FAT32 the max file size is about 4GB so I don't know how this was possible but it happened

I plugged the drive into my new work laptop which has McAfee installed and was prompted to encrypt the drive. I agreed, and specified only 100GB to be encrypted. The encryption took all of a few seconds.

When I check my drive I see all the content has been moved into a folder called "Unprotected Files" - which I expected. So far all is well.

I have a few questions/issues:

1. When I right click on the drive it now tells me the drive size is only 100GB. I guess this is because I specified this size during encryption. Am I right in assuming the other 900GB is still available in the "Unprotected Files" folder?

2. Will I still be able to write to the "Unprotected Files" folder from my home computer?

3. When I show properties of the "Unprotected Files" folder, it shows total file size as 200GB exactly - however I know that the content is actually only 107GB. Why is this?

4. When I try to copy my Outlook.pst file (7.5GB) over to the encrypted space, I get an error that there isn't enough space on the drive. I understand from research that FAT32 has a limit of 4GB, however if that is the issue, how was I able to have the file on the hard drive in the first place (which was already formatted FAT32)?

Thanks for your help to improve my understanding.

Regards,

Mark

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community