cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preboot not loading on Dell Desktops

Hi,

I have having an issue with the preboot logon screen not showing up on some of the dell desktops which we have installed EEPC and EEFF on. Rather than the loading screen and then password logon, we just get a pale blue screen, with a moving cursor, but nothing else. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work and the only way around it is to hard power off the machine, power it back on, at which point the logon screen shows up. This is happening on 8 machines out of 70 that have the software currently. However, I have another 400 machines to do and would like to solve this issue before continuing the roll out.

Cheers

Ryan

18 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 19

Re: Preboot not loading on Dell Desktops

best to always start by stating the version of the product(s) you are using 🙂

Hi,

Apologies for that. Its been one of those mornings.

Its version 5.2.5.8 from the EEM console.

From previous threads on here, I have checked that the "Always enable pre-boot USB Support" is unchecked in all of our machine groups which it is. I should point out that none of the dell e5400/e6400's are having issues, it is just some desktops, mainly Dell Optiplex 755's.

Cheers

Ryan

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 19

drive mode set to "RAID" in bios by any chance?

The drives are set to achi in the bios though we do need to change them to ata if we wish to use the wintech disc.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 19

that will be because you forgot to put the dell ACHI drivers on the WinPE disk when you made it

Have you tried ATA mode though? Not sure why it would matter, but sometimes Dells can be particular. It would be interesting to know.

I'll change it on one of the problem machines this afternoon and see if it helps in the morning.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 19

another thing to work out, is it EVERY machine of a particular model you are having problems with?

If some machines with identical hardware work, and some don't, it's more likely to be an image issue, but with Dells, sometimes it can be tricky to work out if machines really are HW identical or not.

I have having an issue with the preboot logon screen not showing up on some of the dell desktops which we have installed EEPC and EEFF on. Rather than the loading screen and then password logon, we just get a pale blue screen, with a moving cursor, but nothing else. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work and the only way around it is to hard power off the machine, power it back on, at which point the logon screen shows up. 

Is that consistent or intermittent behavior?

From a look at the list of problem machines, It would seem limits to Dell 755's however there is no telling that those machines have the same hardware. My support guys are still compiling the list so I'll keep checking on that.

The behavior is the same everyday. Machines are shut down each night, they then bring up this blue screen, hard power off (hold in button), and then switch back on and the preboot screen is shown.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community