Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattw2
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 25

Pre-boot Environment not loading on Dell E6410

We've been using EEPC for a couple of years now with Dell laptops, however, we're now experiencing a very annoying problem on the Latitude E6410.

We have the BIOS set to ATA mode, as we had with the E6400.

However, some (not all) of the E6410 laptops we've deployed encryption to aren't loading the pre-boot environment.

You get the progress bar pop up, but this gets to about an inch of progress before stopping.

IF we reinstall windows and re-apply the encryption software, the same thing happens.

We even tried swapping the hard disk with another E6410 that was working. Initially, the problem moved with the hard disk, before then happening on both systems. Swapping the hard disks back didn't help, so then two laptops were at fault rather than just one.

Admittedly, we're running 5.1.9, but can't see that being a contributory factor, since all the E6410 laptops we've deployed to are running the same version, and its currently less than half experiencing the problem... although i have heard that more are "developing" the issue.

I realise we need to upgrade to 5.2.5 anyway at some point, and if that will fix this, then great, but are there any other suggestions as to what to try ?

We have logged a call with McAfee support, but thought i'd post here incase other people were having/had experienced the same sort of issue.

thanks in advance

Matt W.

24 Replies
rbdudani
Level 11
Message 2 of 25

Re: Pre-boot Environment not loading on Dell E6410

What is hard drive access mode in the BIOS (RAID, AHCI, ATA) ?

change to compatible mode.

may be this will help you

https://kc.mcafee.com:443/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB69380

Message was edited by: Ram Dudani on 7/20/10 7:38:32 AM CDT
mattw2
Level 10
Message 3 of 25

Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately....

1) The BIOS is set to ATA mode - Dell do this at the factory for us.

2) the KC article you pointed to is for version 6, not version 5. and doesn't represent the problem we are experiencing.

Can you post client log? (SbClientLog.txt)

mattw2
Level 10
Message 5 of 25

I can try and get an sbclientlog.txt

Do you want  one from an E6410 that loads correctly, or one that isn't loading the pre-boot environment.

If the latter, I can try and see if the Emergency Boot process lets me get into Windows so that I can provide it, unless there is another trick i can use to get the file, since the problem we've got is we can't get past preboot environment to be able to load windows.

thanks in advance

Both logs.

Does disk encryption start, i.e. is there any portion of disk encrypted when failure occurs?

jkussow
Level 9
Message 7 of 25

Any chance this is a video mode issue?  We recently moved from the Dell D630s to the E6410's. Our Installation Sets had been created with the Graphics Mode set to "1400x900 Hi-Colors (mode 0x163) - Dell D630".  The pre-boot was actually loading correctly but the hardware wasn't displaying it so it seemed like it was a malfunction.  We rebuilt our installation sets with the Graphics Mode set to "Default Graphics Mode" and all is good.  Hope that helps.

mattw2
Level 10
Message 8 of 25

I don't think it is down to video issues...

I've attached a picture which shows what happens when you boot. Basically, you get the progress bar for loading the preboot environment.. it gets a short way along and just stops.

What theme do you use? Do you still see issues if themes are not applied?

SafeBoot Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 25

If it's intermittent then it's almost certainly a buggy bios. You'll probably find that cold/warm boot is a factor, as well as how long the machine was off for - batterys out off will probably behave the best.

I would upgrade your backend to 5.2.5, then deploy a test number of 5.2.5 clients, leaving the majority alone - from there you can see if all the compatibility fixes are stabalizing the systems for you.

No need to upgrade everyone, only the problem platforms.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community