Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkussow
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

Pre-Loading Local Recovery Pairs

Jump to solution

I think I know the answer, but is there any way to pre-load a user's Local Recovery Q/A pairs?  Preferanbly an API that can set them but not get them?  We have an Identity Management system in place that already maintains questions/answers for user self-service password reset across a number of other systems.  We'd like to use EEPC Local Recovery but don't want our users to have to go through registration again.  It took us 3 months to get it done the first time.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Pre-Loading Local Recovery Pairs

Jump to solution

sorry, there's no API for this - you'd have to request it to be added as a new feature.

14 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Jump to solution

sorry, there's no API for this - you'd have to request it to be added as a new feature.

foliveir
Level 11
Message 3 of 15

Jump to solution

Hello Jkussow,

You can submit a feature modification request (FMR) via https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/products/product.asp

McAfee KB 60021 contains further information about the FMR process.

HTH

jkussow
Level 9
Message 4 of 15

Jump to solution

Thanks Fausto!  I don't see EE listed in the products pull down on the page you reference.  Nor even more broadly, something like Data Protection.  What should I choose to ensure it's going to the right folks?

foliveir
Level 11
Message 5 of 15

Jump to solution

Thanks for your alert I have discussed this with the team and we are working on making our EE products available.

Meanwhile can you please open a Service Request with Support in order to have your FMR submitted ?

Thank you,

Fausto

Message was edited by: Fausto Oliveira on 07/12/09 04:21:06 CST
zn
Level 7
Message 6 of 15

Jump to solution

would be a very good addition to the api along with assigning a user to a machine group save having our users answer questions twice during insallation process

Jump to solution

I have a customer who has a similar request to use Identity Manager to perform Local Recovery. Since this original post has an API been added for Local Recovery? Customer wants to be able to set Q/A from their identity management system.

Thanks

Courtney

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution

I'm not sure you are talking about the right thing - local recovery, everything is done by the user on the machine - there's no server side, or web site aspect to it.

the API's already exist for something like an ID management system to generate the right recovery codes for the user.

But no, there is no API (and no plans for one) to expose the local recovery answer setting - it has to be typed and registered by the user. This is to make sure that the answers stay private between the user and the system, and are not exposed in a way someone could get access to them.

Highlighted
zn
Level 7
Message 9 of 15

Jump to solution

I use questions/answers to authenticate users to our service desk - it annoys users having to enter them separately and would be much better if we could fill the local recovery info using the scripting api

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Jump to solution

ah - those you can - we call these "user information fields" - they are viewable within EEM (and the recovery APIs).

it's the "Secret" local recovery questions that can't be touched - the ones involved in admin-assisted recovery, or web-assisted recovery can be handled through the API though.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community