cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Boot/BIOS issue

All,

I have a counterpart in Costa Rica that is testing EEPC 5.2.3.  He has installed the client software on several different makes and models of laptops.  However on his D630 machines, he has been having strange issues.  Under his normal BIOS configuration,  EEPC will begin to load at boot, and then stall before the PBA screen.  However, if he goes into his BIOS settings and disables his USB ports, and then boots his machine, everything will load successfully.   I'm at a loss for how disabling USB ports allows the SBFS to load.  The admin says there are no USB devices connected to the laptop, and I had him check to make sure it wasn't trying to boot from a CD.  Has anyone else ran into this issue?  Any suggestions are welcome.

14 Replies

Re: Pre-Boot/BIOS issue

Fixed it without updating to a new version

What did you set in machine object properties, pertaining to USB?

After reviewing the configuration settings for their install package,  we found that they had enabled "Always enable pre-boot USB Support" option.  Once we unchecked that option, they were able to create an install set that works on their machines.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 15

"Always enable pre-boot USB Support" option.

Yeah - you NEVER need to enable that unless you really really need USB support and the pre-boot is not enabling it for you.

Dangerous option. McAfee was trying to fix that with USB handback handling enhancements, with very limited success, so far.

It is just a workaround, at best. With side effects that were never seen in SafeBoot 4.2.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 15

not surprising, since 5 and 4 are totally different operating systems.

Surprising, as it is still not fixed. For how many years, or maintenance revisions, do we have EEPC 5.x present?

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 15

v5 has been out since mid 2005 if I remember right - and you are wrong about it "not being fixed" - there are hundreds more machines which support v5 now than there would be using the 5.0 codebase - we've helped pretty much every manufacturer fix issues in their BIOS code over the last few years. I'm not sure it's appropriate for you to hold McAfee responsible for the quality of other peoples code? What's the point you are trying to make here? Do you believe there's some root solution to the problem which we're holding back on implementing that would make EEPC5/6 "future proof" against this kind of malarkey?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community