cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Pre-Boot/BIOS issue

McAfee is fully aware of this problem, yet does not disclose comprehensive list of PC's that are known to have this issue.

They should do that, at least, to protect their customers.

It would be diligent to properly alert customers to this deficiency, especially as it didn't seem to exist in SafeBoot 4.2.

As for PC hardware vendors, I know some, that claim this issue is purely McAfee's problem.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 15

4 is a totally different product to 5 peter - it does not work the same way. Why do you use v5 BTW and not V4?

Yes, some claim it's our problem because only we are doing the things we are doing - the processor reference guides tell us it's an entirely legitimate thing to do though, so why should we not be able to do it?

4 is a totally different product to 5 peter - it does not work the same way. Why do you use v5 BTW and not V4?

Because McAfee decided not to maintain version 4.

Yes, some claim it's our problem because only we are doing the things we are doing - the processor reference guides tell us it's an entirely legitimate thing to do though, so why should we not be able to do it?

So why are you still doing it, if some (including biggest) hardware vendors continue not to be cooperative in that area?

Disclose the list, to start with. That would ease up some pain.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 14 of 15

Are you sure you didn't make the switch to v5 because of the fancy pre-boot environment, or because of the performance, or because it supports thousands of users, or because of pre-boot self-recovery, or indeed any of the other benefits that >the new pre-boot< environment gives?

The reason we still do things the way we do them is because it's the best option, and gives the most reliable experience on the widest possible range of hardware platforms.

As for posting a list of what we support - why don't you start by beginning a document or a discussion of all the machine models/versions etc which you have EEPC5 working fine on? You probably have a much wider collection than McAfee internal + McAfee QA put together?

Here - I'll begin - I am using a Dell E4300 at the moment, it works fine. Also since all HP biz class devices ship with an EEPC derivative on them, I think we can assume they all work fine as well.

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1782

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 9/20/10 11:29:41 AM EDT
Highlighted

While I appreciate some new features that EEPC 5.x delivers, I hate some items that it broke.

I thought it was a temporary oversight. Now it looks that it is a systematic problem.

I do not care about which HW products do work properly, all should. I assume that list is much bigger than the list of systems that have issues with EEPC 5.x. We did notify McAfee with those, long time ago. Some made it even to KB.

What I'm looking for, is comprehensive list of those systems that do have issues with EEPC. In one place.

I'm sure many readers will agree with me.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community