cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

**Negative implications to restarting MEE database service in the middle of the day??**

I have priority call for a tech we cannot make any changes to. My initial research points to the fact the account is being accessed by another user/machine and therefore locked out. "unable to change user's access mode"

Been reading restarting the db service or sb server can resolve this. Any implications on doing this in the middle of day?

Tags (3)
12 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 13

Re: **Negative implications to restarting MEE database service in the middle of the day??**

Yes, you may create orphans if you do so. Do you have multiple instances of EEM active (possibly from various computers)?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 13

Re: **Negative implications to restarting MEE database service in the middle of the day??**

yes we do. 6700 users, 5200 laptops. many many admins. support said it wont let me stop the service if any critical syncs are going on. i would rather do this off hours myself.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 13

Then you have got an answer. Do you have service window established when you restart database services (beside other things)? We call it a "maintenance time" and everyone knows when it occurs.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 13

Peter,

Would local recovery bypass this issue since its PBA? We could always do an emergency boot for the time being. Just curious on what you thought.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 13

Boot-once should always work...

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 13

I hear ya but we have 220 techs and only 13 of us have full access. Happens all the time. Daily. Wondering if pushing the local recovery would alleviate the calls.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 13

Shouldn't be getting that many locks in a day, are you assigning a huge number of users to each machine?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 13

How many connections does the server recieve during peak hours? What are you synchronization parameters for your machines? Does your helpdesk technicians connect remotely through a mini-admin console? Sounds like network connections to the server are dropped frenquently.

I suggest you change the TCP/IP KeepAliveTime in the server's registry to 5 minutes (default is 2 hours). It will requires a server reboot. The object lock will clear in this time period and you will be able to work with the account. This is suggested in the EEPC Best Practices guide that you can obtain through the McAfee Service Portal.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 13

For easy access, herei the link:

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/21000/PD21801/en_US/...

I'm sure that you have database cache (index) already enabled?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community