cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Need to recover data from crashed HDD which is end point encrypted.

I have installed McAfee endpoint encryption in my laptop. Unfortunately laptop got crashed. when I switch on the machine, it displays "Missing operating system" message. Its not even displaying the     pre-boot screen which was used to earlier. I am not sure which one is corrupted in MBR whether OS or End point encryption software. I need to retrieve my data. plz provide me the details in depth to recover data.  Thanks in advance !

16 Replies
ajacobs
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 17

Re: Need to recover data from crashed HDD which is end point encrypted.

I've moved this to our Encryption area for better attention.

kink80
Level 12
Message 3 of 17

Contact your IT department as they should have the correct tools and knowledge to do as you requested.

Do you have access to EEM application that will help you to retrieve machine information?

If not, contact people who manage EE in your organization.

I do not have access to EEM application. Moreover, local IT helpdesk does not know much about this recovery process. I tried with SafeTech boot disc. When i tried option Authenticate from SBFS, it gives the error "SafeBoot client is not activated".  Is it possible to do the manual decrypt?

Please explain me, what are the steps to be followed to recover it. Thank you

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 17

you really need to work with YOUR IT team here, it's their machine after all. Actually, you can't do anything without their assistance - you need the machine object from the database that they manage to decrypt anything.

Yes, it's entirely possible to recover all the data on your machine - whether your company wants you to do this though is up to them.

I have explained to you that you need to work with people managing EEM and need to retrieve machine information (database - to SDB file).

You need to work with personnel that has been trained for EEPC recovery procedures. If that is not your IT team, then escalate this to your management. Someone should seek McAfee Support to help you with that recovery.

Thanks SafeBoot and Peter for your reply. I have requested my IT support team for SDB file. Hope will get that by tomorrow.

I have few queries on SDB. Please clarify it.

1. Is SDB file unique for each machine?

2. When this SDB file will be created ?

3. Whether SDB will be created based on User name or given encryption password or based on machine's configuration or based on all?

4. Whether a new SDB will be created for the same user and the same machine, if user installs second time EE on the same machine after a fresh format and OS install (after reimage) ?

5. Can we download SDB file from Client machine itself after normal boot of the machine [Asking this for retrieve SDB myself and keep it with me for future use when i install EE next time] ?

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 17

1. yes, for each ACTIVATION of each machine even

2. When the admin creates it - the data it's created from though is created when you activate the product on that machine

3. It's based on the machine, nothing to do with users.

4. Yes, each activation as I say in 1.

5. No, you can not. It's only available from the administrator.

Thanks for ur reply SafeBoot.

It seems that its difficult to get SDB file from my Mcafee Enpoint encryption server team . Still am waiting for positive reply from them.

Is any other way to retrieve my data?

like logging into another machine with my encryption user name and password (after getting access for that machine-granting mulitple access) and connect my machine's HDD in USB port  (Using HDD USB converter). will this help ???

Plz suggest me the possible ways.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community