Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psolinski
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 31

RE: McAfee encryption products?

Could you tell me current status of Endpoint Encryption (EE) management from ePO?

ePO 4.5 Beta documentation lists Endpoint 5.2.1 and 5.3 as supported products.
Whats the latest version of EE?

Would ePO 4.5 allow full EE management or deployment/reporting only?

Regards

McAfee is not releasing the current status of the EE Management for ePO - if you've signed an NDA you may be able to get some soft dates from your account rep, but they're not going to post it on the forums.

The current production version of EEPC is 5.1.8.
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 31

EEPC v6 will allow full management from EPO 4.5+, but there's no public information on this project, and it certainly won't be released in the near time. At the moment you can get deployment and reporting through EPO 3/4 for EEPC versions but not as you say full management - only deployment and reporting.

I hope that helps, but apologize for the lack of info on the v6 project - a penalty of being a public company I'm afraid.

Is there any movement on this since October 2008?

I just looked on the 4.5 Beta forums, but there does not seem to be much mentioned in the way of managing EEPC, fo any version.
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 31

same as above. We won't release any public info until very close to release.

Note, v6 is not simply "management of v5 in EPO", it's a completely new client, management process, user process (in fact there's no user process) etc. Everything you know, love and hate about SafeBoot/EEPC changes.

I was under the impression that the release was end of June 2009 - is that not correct then?
mrgui
Level 7
Message 17 of 31

It will be ready, when it is ready. If someone tells you a date, and they don't make that date, then you'll be mad. You may contact your sales representative and see if you can get in on a limited access beta (if they are even that far along yet). I'm sure you are all dying to play with it, but like any major revision... it should be met with a bit of caution and a lot of preparation.
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 31

I'm at a loss to understand why people are so keen to get it? Perhaps some of you can comment on why this is so important to you? The current product can already be deployed and measured from within EPO - isn't that the most valuable thing?

?????? What the f*@! ??????

"At a loss" ?!?!

Forgive me if I suggest that sounds a bit dismissive!

The NHS, under the guidelines of Connecting for Health - a body sanctioned and set up by the Government - have instructed us to do this in an attempt to prevent the loss of data at all costs.

Judging by the monumental problems involved with SafeBoot (sound cards ceasing to work under an UNFILTERED port control policy, remote desktop (RDP) no longer working for the Support Desk after a version of content encryption was installed ON OVER 1000 devices, the whole damned "Single Sign On versus Windows logon etc etc) one could be forgiven for wanting to fully understand this "upgrade" to our daily working lives - and ultimately responsibility for a rollout project - as best we could?

We have been advised that ePO 4.5 will manage Endpoint Encryption for PC, so with that running live on as many as 1500 devices - ALL OF WHICH WILL NEED TO BE UPGRADED - and to be quite honest - I would have thought a representative of the company (I am assuming you are?) would be overjoyed that their product was in such demand.

I cannot imagine Microsoft taking the attitude that 3.11 was good enough, and that they could not really see what all the fuss was about when it came to new versions...
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 31

RE: ?????? What the f*@! ??????

what I mean is the issue you've have with port control and content encryption won't be resolved by the EPO managed version of EEPC - they are different products.

You won't NEED to upgrade anything, v5 and v6 will be available together for the foreseeable future, you'll be able to choose which platform you use based on the respective feature sets (which will be very different). It's not like AV where you have to stay on the current release or it looses value - if the product meets your requirements we're not going to force your hand with an upgrade to the bleeding edge.

So, playing devils advocate, imagine the client does SSO in the same way as current, that the port control and EEFF issues remain as they are in other products, do you have a compelling reason for still wanting to upgrade?

I'm overjoyed at the demand of course, but I'm not going to recommend an upgrade just because it's the latest thing. Upgrades should give you more value than they cost to implement, and with Encryption, most often the incumbent version is more than appropriate for your needs, and entry to the next generation product comes quickly for new customers, but much slower than ones who've built their processes around the existing generation.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community